Question on poly and Epoxy prices

cgildea

Seaman Apprentice
If in fact you are using waxed resin you must sand/ grind between coats. The wax layer floats to the top and will prevent a good bond without getting rid of it.
Even if you dont let it cure? Ive tried letting it sit for 30 minutes and went back over it with more resin and then laid the mat out on it and wet it out that way.

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
If you are using resin with wax, I would think that's your problem.
Yea this thread/conversation has gotten OLD. Buy some real glues from real marine vendors.
Let us know how you make out after that. There is really nothing else to be said.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
parts store resin is old by the time it hits their shelf.

big box store resin is older by the time its on the truck to the store from sitting in the warehouse for a years

only buy resins from fiberglass suppliers

cgildea

Seaman Apprentice
I think the "parts store" resin is the key here... if you mean autoparts store, then its most likely not laminating resin... it probably has the wax in it to fully cure so it can be sanded for body work...

Maybe I missed something, but that would be the smoking gun in my opinion...

As others said, the wood isn't your issue..

Yea this thread/conversation has gotten OLD. Buy some real glues from real marine vendors.
Let us know how you make out after that. There is really nothing else to be said.
Thanks for the words of widsom.....

cgildea

Seaman Apprentice
UPDATE: Im assuming it was a combination of not good enough prep and something to do with my shed. But today I took a 36 grit pad to it and grinded it until it looked like blondewood (white). I also moved it from my shed to my driveway thinking the sunlight would help it. Mixed the first batch and let it sit until it got tacky, rolled on another coat and once it got tacky I mixed up a big batch and rolled more out, then laid out my csm. Came back after 2 1/2 hours and it was pretty hard. I tried pulling up the edges and the csm just started cracking. Never even tried to pull away from the plywood. I dont think the location had as much to do with it as the prep did. I had to eat alot of material off but oh well. Lesson learned

Thanks everyone for the help

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Thanks for the words of widsom.....
Im not sure if your being sarcastic and don't really care. So you think after all your issues it was prep. ?
Ouch thats alot of bad work, waste, time and money. Hope its better moving forward.
Best of luck.

cgildea

Seaman Apprentice
Im not sure if your being sarcastic and don't really care. So you think after all your issues it was prep. ?
Ouch thats alot of bad work, waste, time and money. Hope its better moving forward.
Best of luck.
It was, and yes it was alot of bad work and a waste of time. I thought I was removing enough material but I was wrong. Lesson learned and one I wont soon forget thats for sure. Lol

Thank you