Question on bimini top location

HRG

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Going to install a bimini top on my new build 12 foot jon boat that has a 6HP outboard motor. The bimini top that I bought is 6 feet long and 46 inches high.

For folks who have a bimini top on their boat, do you wish it was more forward or more aft?
Is the correct location to have the bimini top, when folded down, just in front of the outboard motor? Or is that a non issue since the top will always be up when boating?

Here's a youtube video of a bimini top installed on a jon boat. At 3:22 in the video, it shows the collapsed top just in front of the outboard motor. But at 7:08 in the video, the top looks to be too far aft on the boat. Maybe that's a good location? I donno.

Thanks for any insights on where you prefer your bimini top location to be.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Before you mount it. Mock it up. That way you mount it where you want it

airshot

Rear Admiral
Mounted many tops over the years, the best installs were on sliding rails sovthe main pivot point can be slid back or forward. These sliding rails can be had in various lengths from 12" to 4 feet. A simple thumb screw lock allows them to be easily moved. Many timesvthe best storage position is notbthe best use position, sonthe ability to move it back and forth is a big plus !! Ifvyou have a typ alum jon boat, just add a piece of wood along the gunwale on the inside to mount the rail. I used a piece of mahogany on one of my installs....many compliments...

HRG

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi Scott and Airshot,

Thanks for both of your responses. I overlooked something that may dictate where my bimini top will be located.

I will be installing two rod holders on the aft portion of the gunwales to be used for trolling. With the two rods sticking up and outward while trolling and to have room to fight fish that are caught, I guess the bimini top will need to be more forward. So the storage position just forward of the outboard motor will probably not work well.

I'll install the rod holders and then work on the bimini top location.

Thanks again,
HRG

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
FWIW, you could simply buy a patio umbrella and clamp it to the forward seat. thats all that Dad had in his boat for decades. the cheap $15 patio umbrella with a bit of rope on the second one. yes, the first one went sailing in a wind gust

airshot

Rear Admiral
Hi Scott and Airshot,

Thanks for both of your responses. I overlooked something that may dictate where my bimini top will be located.

I will be installing two rod holders on the aft portion of the gunwales to be used for trolling. With the two rods sticking up and outward while trolling and to have room to fight fish that are caught, I guess the bimini top will need to be more forward. So the storage position just forward of the outboard motor will probably not work well.

I'll install the rod holders and then work on the bimini top location.

Thanks again,
HRG
Even a better reason for installing the sliding rails !!! No matter where you mount it, there will come a day where you wish it was more forward or more backwards.....so prevent the going thru that, just add a rail and you can havevthe top where ever you want it and can easily move it the next day to another position if needed !!!

HRG

Petty Officer 2nd Class
With more googling, majority says the bimini top interferes with fishing so many who have one, put it down while fishing.

That said, I'll put first priority on locating my bimini top where it will be best out of the way when folded down either forward or aft, for fishing. The location of rod holders for trolling will take 2nd priority.

airshot

Rear Admiral
All my fishing interference from the bimini was trying to put it up or down after the fishing lines were set out !!!If it started out being up, it stayed that way until fishing rods were put away. Over time, I found that I used the bimini less and less, so the brand new top for my curent boat is not even mounted. Most of the time the top was used for joy riding, not fishing. And now fishing is about all I do.

HRG

Petty Officer 2nd Class
All my fishing interference from the bimini was trying to put it up or down after the fishing lines were set out !!!If it started out being up, it stayed that way until fishing rods were put away. Over time, I found that I used the bimini less and less, so the brand new top for my curent boat is not even mounted. Most of the time the top was used for joy riding, not fishing. And now fishing is about all I do.
Thanks for that.

I think our plan will be to leave the bimini top down, fish, put it up for lunch break and put it back down again for fishing. Will go up if it rains.

One important reason for having a bimini top on my boat is because the outside of the hull is painted navy blue and the inside is painted battleship gray. Both hard to see on the ocean. I bought a red bimini top and it will go up if we ever need to be found..... :unsure: ;).

stresspoint

Ensign
i hate the things , missus loves them , compromise is to have it easily removable .

i prefer forward so as the driver and passengers up front have shelter when seated and make life easier getting in and out of the boat at the jetty as it gives that extra bit of head room when boarding , when folded , i prefer them laying toward the back or in the shed off the boat :).

HRG

Petty Officer 2nd Class
i hate the things , missus loves them , compromise is to have it easily removable .

i prefer forward so as the driver and passengers up front have shelter when seated and make life easier getting in and out of the boat at the jetty as it gives that extra bit of head room when boarding , when folded , i prefer them laying toward the back or in the shed off the boat :).
Thanks for sharing your perspectives. It all helps when determining the mounting location for my bimini top.

I need to customize my top and cut down the 3 center tubings to make my top less wide. Then the installation will begin.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Just my opinion, so don't take offense. At my age I have had some sun related problems, so I put a bimini on my 14' utility fishing boat. I just could not sit out in the sun all day on a fishing trip.

It was unmanageable. It got in the way for everything. Besides, when on plane it acted like a sail and screwed up my stability. I ended up leaving it down, so basically that eliminated any advantage.

I ended up selling the boat and buying a bigger boat that had a factory bimini in the first place. Obviously, a big expense on my part, but now I can fish in comfort.

Regardless, if you are set on one, to answer your question it should be located so that it shades any and all seats you intend to sit on. Also, it needs to have any straps or rods forward of your rod holders so you can still pull up a rod without it being constrained.

HRG

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Just my opinion, so don't take offense. At my age I have had some sun related problems, so I put a bimini on my 14' utility fishing boat. I just could not sit out in the sun all day on a fishing trip.

It was unmanageable. It got in the way for everything. Besides, when on plane it acted like a sail and screwed up my stability. I ended up leaving it down, so basically that eliminated any advantage.

I ended up selling the boat and buying a bigger boat that had a factory bimini in the first place. Obviously, a big expense on my part, but now I can fish in comfort.

Regardless, if you are set on one, to answer your question it should be located so that it shades any and all seats you intend to sit on. Also, it needs to have any straps or rods forward of your rod holders so you can still pull up a rod without it being constrained.
Was that a factory (canvas) bimini or a hard top on your bigger boat?
If a canvas bimini, it sounds like it doesn't need straps to support itself?

Thanks much for your input. Valuable for me having a first time boat with a bimini top. (I already bought the bimini top in Sept 2022 so I'll mount it on my boat, using the input I've received here). Thanks.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Was that a factory (canvas) bimini or a hard top on your bigger boat?
If a canvas bimini, it sounds like it doesn't need straps to support itself?

Thanks much for your input. Valuable for me having a first time boat with a bimini top. (I already bought the bimini top in Sept 2022 so I'll mount it on my boat, using the input I've received here). Thanks.
All biminis have a center fixed mount for the rods, with a second detachable mount for one end (either fore or aft). The opposite end is attached with an adjustable strap. It has to be that way or there would be no way to adjust tightness of the assembly.

Attachments

• bimini.JPG
    bimini.JPG
    303.7 KB · Views: 3

HRG

Petty Officer 2nd Class
All biminis have a center fixed mount for the rods, with a second detachable mount for one end (either fore or aft). The opposite end is attached with an adjustable strap. It has to be that way or there would be no way to adjust tightness of the assembly.
Previously when you said:
"I ended up selling the boat and buying a bigger boat that had a factory bimini in the first place. Obviously, a big expense on my part, but now I can fish in comfort."
I understand now that it was the "larger size" of the boat you bought that allows fishing in comfort with the bimini top up. Not a different type of top like a hard top.
Thanks,
HRG

XS POWER

Seaman Apprentice
Not all biminies have that strap. Mine is rigidly braced forward, with a braced bar forward and aft holding the top taught. No deck obstruction.

airshot

Rear Admiral
No matter where the bimini is placed, it will never be in a perfect place !! There is always a differentbspot where it could work better under some circumstances. Make your bimini on a sliding rail sobit can easily be slid back and forth, front to back to create that perfect position !! For the few bucks the rails cost, it is so much better to be able to move it, to where it works best on a particular day ......

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Previously when you said:
"I ended up selling the boat and buying a bigger boat that had a factory bimini in the first place. Obviously, a big expense on my part, but now I can fish in comfort."
I understand now that it was the "larger size" of the boat you bought that allows fishing in comfort with the bimini top up. Not a different type of top like a hard top.
Thanks,
HRG
In my opinion, even the shortest available bimini is too much of an encumbrance on a little 14' tinny. The custom factory setup I switched to was purposely designed to enable fishing from any location.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Not all biminies have that strap. Mine is rigidly braced forward, with a braced bar forward and aft holding the top taught. No deck obstruction.
Obviously, a PO removed the strap and added a bracing bar in its place. As a matter of fact, I did that very thing eons ago on an old boat when the strap needed to be replaced. Poor choice on my part because the fixed mount would not allow tightening when needed.

Furthermore, my new bar was MORE of a deck restriction than the strap....