Question for Rodbolt

Hey Rodbolt,

I am new here and have enjoyed reading your post and even your humor. I am going against your advise and replacing my multifunction tach and speedo gauges with Teleflex Lido analog gauges-Tach, Speedo, trim, water temp, fuel, volt and hours meter on my 1997 S150TXRW with 704 binacle mount.

See your post below.

I realize I will no longer have an oil buzzer or light, but I visually check my oil tank each time I go out. Teleflex only makes warning lights or system check for Evenrude/Johnson in this series.

My question is, is there something in my rewiring I should be aware of not to interfer with the automatic oil transfer from the remote tank?

May 2nd, 2008, 08:08 AM
rodbolt
Supreme Mariner

Re: mutifunction to std gauges

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
change mechanics, look at the yamaha pro series of analog tachs, they have all the correct lamps ,no trim indicate and analog meter movement, Id be suprised if the teleflex stuff outlasted the yamaha stuff but thats just based on 30 some odd years of observation.
90-95 V6 2.6L motors used the trim sender to inhibit oil transfer after about 30*, 96 and up all V6 used an engine run signal for automatic oil transfer not the trim switch.
find a real tech.
so when the alarm goes off for loose battery,low engine oil or overheat your gonna run back and hunt?
to easy to simply use the correct stuff.
and if the remote tank goes low it illuminates the yellow lamp and automatic oil transfer is prohibited.
unless you fill the oil tanks each trip how will you know the level is ok for oil transfer, or if the switch fails how will you know what is going on. remote tank is normally closed, break the signal wire or the switch fails the yellow lamp illuminates and automatic transfer is prohibited.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: Question for Rodbolt

all buzzers will still function normally, you will lose the visual indicates.
the oil and over temp indicates can be established with either a 12v lamp or LED.
1997 uses a 3 wire trim sender and I dont think teleflex ever made a 3 wire trim meter.
with just the digital tach and speedo you will cover all the information you want and its plug and play with no rewireing or rigging or hole sawing in the dash required.

Re: Question for Rodbolt

all buzzers will still function normally, you will lose the visual indicates.
the oil and over temp indicates can be established with either a 12v lamp or LED.
1997 uses a 3 wire trim sender and I dont think teleflex ever made a 3 wire trim meter.
with just the digital tach and speedo you will cover all the information you want and its plug and play with no rewireing or rigging or hole sawing in the dash required.

Thanks Rodbolt for your help. Teleflex now does make a trim gauge for pre 2001 Yamaha. glad to know I will still have the buzzers working from the main key buzzer. I am totally replacing and redisigning my dash. Using www.frontpanelexpress.com Cool place. You download a free CAD program from their site to design the dash. Send the file to them and presto. Even has custom engraving.