question for bush supporters

wilkin250r

Chief Petty Officer
Re: question for bush supporters

Imagine if you were to try to hold a political conference at somebody's house. You would certainly need to get permission from the homeowner, and that homeowner can approve or deny permission based on any reason, including content.<br /><br />The same is true with public airwaves. The government has decreed that the airwaves belong to the public, and thus the public has the right to limit or control content. It is the job of the FCC to enforce those controls. <br /><br />There was a huge public outcry after the Janet Jackson wardrobe fiasco. As a result, the FCC is tightening controls in response to public demand. We the public are demanding it, and it is our right to do so because it is our airwaves that are used as the medium.<br /><br />In no way are we restricting the right to free speech. Anybody can still be "offensive", or produce "offensive" material, they just cannot do it over public airwaves. They have the right to be offensive, but they don't have the right to use OUR airwaves to propogate their offensive material. Freedom of Speech does not guarentee Freedom to be Heard.

Ralph 123

Captain

Hey mattttt25,<br /><br />Which candidate & party tried every dirty tactic in the world to get a book banned?<br /><br />Which candidate bought and stole nearly every copy of a book he wrote to prevent the people form reading it?<br /><br />Which candidate & party tried every dirty tactic in the world to stop a network from airing a documentary?<br /><br />Which candidate & party threatened that network "they better hope we don't win" on Fox News?<br /><br />Which candidate & party tried every dirty tactic in the world to smear and silence 250+ Vietnam Vets and POWs including Bud Day one of the highest decorate vets in modern history?<br /><br />Which candidate & party is breaking into campaign offices across the country and assaulting volunteers?<br /><br />Which candidate & party is stealing yard signs and defacing cars?<br /><br />Which candidate & party is asking people in-line to vote early who they are voting for and intimidating them if they fail to answer or give one they don't like?<br /><br />Which candidate & party is doing everything they can to prevent military ballots from being counted? (Just ask Ed Rendel)<br /><br />Which candidate & party is using forged documents and mass deception to win an election?<br /><br />Which candidate refuses to sign Standard Form 180 an release his full military record for examination?<br /><br />Which candidate & party is engaged in voter registration fraud of historic proportions, even paying off "volunteers" with crack cocaine?<br /><br />You're worried about the FCC? Wake up man. The Brown Shirts are in the streets and the courthouses!

oddjob

Commander

I like it that you cant dance Ralph...I"m going to memorize it.

Ralph 123

Captain

One more:<br /><br />Which candidate's wife recently said "we won't riot if we win?"<br /><br />I got more but I have to take the boy to skating!

deputydawg

Lieutenant Commander

I have seen the talk about gun control here. I can say from a law enforcment point of view it won't matter! maybe after 20 years of control, but I doubt it. In my 10 years investigating crimes I have seen only one murder or assault by firearm, 1 suicide by firearm, and have only been shot at once.<br />I have seen too many knife wounds to count, seen homocide by stabbing once, had knives pulled on me three times. <br />I seized just as much if not more automatic assault weapons which were banned for a while after the ban as before. of all of the guns I have seized in drug cases not a single one was obtained by legal means. They were all either stolen or had obliterated serial numbers. <br />My answer is lets outlaw crimes of violence instead of the tools used to commit crimes of violence.......wait we already have and it did a lot of good. I have also seen homicides and very serious assaults with baseball bats. Lets outlaw those too. Where will it end? <br />Supporters think banning firearms will reduce firearms related crimes. It will some, but not enough to take away from all of society. In rural america where I now live it is a way of life, hunting even to a small extent protecting property livestock from predators.<br />Banning firearms will in fact reduce the accidents by a small fraction, but those that are careless enough to leave guns where kids can find them should be banned from ownership.<br />I think instead of the routine background check for felony convictions to get a firearms permit you should have to take a firearms safety test. I will admit that I keep 2 handguns in my house loaded and off safe at all times. An unloaded gun is a paperweight! My position as investigvator and supervisor I am subject to call 24/7 and do not always have timne to load my gun if my men are in trouble. BUT my kids are taught different than most. They have no interest in my gun. My neice and my oldest child asked a question about my gun. Instead of doing what I see a lot of parents do and panicking telling them how dangerous it is and to never ever touch it, I took it out unloaded it, blocked the barrel and let them look at it. A few minutes later they were so bored they left.<br />I also keep my guns in a locked safe, I have the only keys with me at all times, in my locked bedroom where the kids are never allowed alone. I also use trigegr locks in case the kids get through the locked door and the locked safe.<br />Just my thoughts on gun laws.<br /><br />BTW, just because convicted felons are not allowed by law to own guns, I have arrested many in possession. I guess that means the law is really being followed! Even though we go with federal prosecution for this, the law doesn't scare these people!

Fly Rod

Commander

:) Ralph!! You mean that post would have been longer if your kid didn't have to go skating!!!! :D :D <br />Always enjoy reading 99% of your post!!!<br /><br />Wish I could memorize that last long post for a few of my liberal friends!!! ;) :cool:

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

It's Bahoowagga, Matt. I will only voice the opinions of myself and my houshold on this question you asked.<br />Being a Christian, it's uncomfortable to view or listen to obscene medium. I still laugh at South Park and Bob-n-Tom, but then, my kids are not around anymore.<br />My personal view is "mature audiences only" should mean mature audiances only, no exceptions. When a general audiance is subjected to proigressively morally deminnished materials, soon the general audiance is fit for only Marine Generals, and then, only when not in mixed company.<br />I have no problem with the comedy channel running somewhat indecent stuff like South Park or the Daily Show (which the latter,I will not watch). This is because it can and should be blocked on every tv in any houshold with kids.<br />Unfortunately, some parents don't mind raising confused little deviant mutants instead of functioning adults. And this is where someone needs to interviene while reserving the rights of those around the little mutants...These parents have no right to force thier deranged offspring upon us --- (the rest of the world). <br />In such cases, being a Christian has little to nothing to do with censorship or isolation from morally bankrupt indoctrination of our youth.<br />Us Conservatives believe in as limitted a government that can 'provide for the common good'...Limitted to providing for the safety and security of the public. This is what confuses many on the left. They see such "intrusions" as the same thing practiced by the USSR, and it's simply not. Why not? Because I said so, and I'm one of those who insist that PG stay PG, and that the FCC enforce these "standards".... Standards is a big word here. I'm part of the same gang that frightens the left so irrationally. So consider this the voice of one of those who is glad the FCC is around, and finally showing some teeth...LONG OVERDUE teeth!! (IMHO)

mattttt25

Commander

thanks for all the posts. good, insightful info.

salty87

Commander

matttt<br /><br />i think something else that hasn't been touched on is that this fcc activity is fairly new. fines haven't been levied before, and any fines that had been issued weren't nearly as big. corporate profits are much larger now so big fines are necessary.<br /><br />anyway, the is new territory but is clearly under the oversight of the fcc. public airwaves are for the public, these broadcasters (tv or radio) are broadcasting on government regulated frequencies...if they weren't regulated, there would be mayhem on the airwaves and there wouldn't be any tv or radio at all.<br /><br />in my opinion, free speech protection doesn't apply here.