Question about Polar Kraft livewell. Help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

meck

Recruit
I've got a 14' Polar Kraft jonboat of unknown, but old, age. It has a livewell that I've never used but want to start using This one has two plugs in the bottom. Can someone tell me what the two are for and how I'm supposed to use them. I have no experience with livewells in any boat, Thanks.

Roadslack

Recruit
Re: Question about Polar Kraft livewell. Help.

I've got a 14' Polar Kraft jonboat of unknown, but old, age. It has a livewell that I've never used but want to start using This one has two plugs in the bottom. Can someone tell me what the two are for and how I'm supposed to use them. I have no experience with livewells in any boat, Thanks.

The plugs in the botom should be for the drain. My '94 has only one in the bottom Near the top of the well, there is also an overflow (which is connected to the drain hose that's connected to the bottom drain and runs out the bottom of the transom) and inflow with a valve to reglate the flow of water . The inflow is connected to the well pump on the transom. Leave the plugs in place while you're using the livewell. Pull them to empty the well when you're through. To verify, fill your livewell then alternately remove the plugs and see if the water drains away.

Jeff

ric44

Cadet
Re: Question about Polar Kraft livewell. Help.

Drain ? Yeah they can be that. Meck- you have the earliest and most basic of livewells. Ive owned a few early polarkrafts with the exact same setup. Taking one plug out with the boat sitting in the water lets water come in, seeking its own level and corresponding with the hull's depth (draw) in the water. Taking out both plugs lets the water circulate more freely by coming in and out of the holes. The livewell will drain itself on plane but refill when you become stationary again. If you have a nice catch before going home you can screw the plugs back in the well before going ashore and your well will hold water and you can drain it after you get home. Very simple but effective system requiring no pumps, plumbing etc. I like them.

I have a 1973 Polar Kraft 1444 Commercial Fishing Jon boat. It has the live well plugs in it as well. One of the holes will go straight through the hull to the water. The other is through hull but has a flange like cover over it that is for draining when you run. You just have to look underneath the boat. I have fashioned 2 different pieces of pipe metal and PVC to use in the straight through hull. It will regulate the amount of water that will come into the lives well. They are of varying heights depending on how much water you need. You can also use it without these pipes and it will drain and re-fill every time you run and then stop. I am desperately looking for the original plugs that screw into the bottom. If you know of any source that nay have them, please let me know.

jbcurt00

Staff member
I have a 1973 Polar Kraft 1444 Commercial Fishing Jon boat. It has the live well plugs in it as well. One of the holes will go straight through the hull to the water. The other is through hull but has a flange like cover over it that is for draining when you run. You just have to look underneath the boat. I have fashioned 2 different pieces of pipe metal and PVC to use in the straight through hull. It will regulate the amount of water that will come into the lives well. They are of varying heights depending on how much water you need. You can also use it without these pipes and it will drain and re-fill every time you run and then stop. I am desperately looking for the original plugs that screw into the bottom. If you know of any source that nay have them, please let me know.
Neither member whose old inactive topics you posted to are still around.

Not likely to get or reply to your questions.

Start a topic about your Polar Kraft and ask questions there

Status
Not open for further replies.