QSD 4.2 + bravo = toast?

vroom ZOOM

Petty Officer 1st Class
Looking at a boat with two of these, cummins QSD 4.2's The boat is older than the engines, so someone must have dumped a pile of money to install the engines, as well as a full axius system. I know, they are a VM engine. I heard people saying that they are bad motors, others say they are not so bad. What everyone seems to agree on is that they will fry the bravo 3 easily. So I have come to the conclusion that I might need to get rid of the bravos and put in konrad drives. Is there a model of konrad drive that will bolt right up to the bravo bellhousing, or do I need to swap the whole transom assembly? They seem like pretty beefed up drives without a lot of reported issues, which would make them perfect for 320 hp diesels on a 36 foot cruiser. Any recommendation on a model? I know they bolt up instead of a TRS, couldn't find anything about the bravo. The engines are going to need to be removed for some tlc anyways, so I technically could to a transom assembly swap if need be. Also what issues should I look out for on these engines.

alldodge

Staff member
The B3 has been installed on heavy cruisers for some time. Will agree they are not as strong as the Knorad but the Bravo comes in 3 versions (standard, X and XR). My guess is yours would have a B3X. The change in the Bravo is all done in the upper section. Max HP is rated as 525 but the diesel will have more torque

Its my understanding that Konrad has their own transom assembly and would suggest contacting them for which one they would suggest. I'm thinking the model 560

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Be amazed if that engine could wreck a bravo 3, without serious abuse or lack of maintenance. The cone clutch would surely go before anything else got wrecked, I’d imagine

vroom ZOOM

Petty Officer 1st Class
Yes apparently I heard lots of tales of these engines having so much torque that they wreck a new bravo 3 in 75hrs, the cone clutch blows and by the time you drain the oil its dark black, not sure if this is due to running them hard or anything else, but I will be able to tell you for sure if I end up getting the boat.