Puzzle Solvers---Look Here Now!!!!

AK_Chappy

Lieutenant
Ok,<br />My wife, she who must be obeyed, brought home this puzzle. I have no earthly clue how to do this one. You are supposed to remove the nail without bending it or bending/breaking the wood. The clues given were "think outside the box"<br /><br />Here are the pics, and NO they are not doctored.<br /><br />
NailPic1.jpg
NailPic2.jpg
<br /><br />
NailPic3.jpg
NailPic4.jpg
<br /><br />Any ideas,<br />AK Chappy

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Puzzle Solvers---Look Here Now!!!!

Cut the nail into 3 or 4 pieces.

stan_deezy

Lieutenant Commander

Without bending or breaking the wood....<br /><br />didn't say anything about not setting fire to it though :D

brother chris

Commander

Originally posted by Stan_Deezy:<br /> Without bending or breaking the wood....<br /><br />didn't say anything about not setting fire to it though :D
Hahaha...yeah fire will do it just fine!<br />See how she reacts to that when you set it aflame! :eek: :D

BoatBuoy

Rear Admiral

For me, the bigger question is how did the nail get there to start with.

Drowned Rat

Captain

Drill hole through the end of the wood. :D

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Hide the puzzle....Hand your wife a nail of the same size... don't say a word and then leave for work... I bet the reaction will be priceless.

grotmeister

Seaman Apprentice

put the whole thing in a bath of ferric chloride. the nail will dissolve

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Does it have a name????

joblo33

Chief Petty Officer

Look for a fine seam in the nail. A few years ago in metalwork class I made a double ended bolt with a nut on it. no one could figure out how to get the nut off but actually the double ended bolt was two bolts , one drilled and tapped in the end, one with the end made smaller and tapped. Maybe this works the same way.<br />Eric

Wimperdink

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Originally posted by AK Chappy:<br /> The clues given were "think outside the box"<br />
I guess I would look for the answer on the outside of the box it was packaged in like the clue says. :D

all thumbs

Chief Petty Officer

See if the nail is screwed together somehow. Hidden under the two inside blocks. :confused:

AK_Chappy

Lieutenant

Couldn't find any seams. Even tried with two pairs of pliers, couldn't get it to come apart. :D <br />I don't like admitting defeat. But this one kicked my arse.<br /><br />AK Chappy

snapperbait

Vice Admiral

Chappy... Repeat after me.. <br /><br />ahem!.. There is no nail.. The nail is a figment of my imagination.. :p

Wimperdink

Lieutenant Junior Grade

are the blocks in the center glued in place or possibly doweled in place to where they will pull out and you can just slip the nail out?

cbnoodles

Chief Petty Officer

Without having the puzzle in my hands, I have to make some assumptions: <br /><br />1. The wood is ABSOLUTELY solid. That is, the block on the end where the nail head wasn't removed and then glued back on after the nail was inserted. Nor were the 2 center blocks glued on with the nail inserted or any holes drilled other than the 2 the nail rests in.<br /><br />2. The tree didn't grow around the nail. :rolleyes: <br /><br />3. The nail is solid. It was not, as others suggest, fabricated to re-assemble in the block of wood.<br /><br />4. The nail wasn't bent to insert it and then straightened after insertion.<br /><br />If these assumptions are correct and you have stated the instructions clearly, the only way I see to remove the nail is to destroy it chemically (drilling a hole in the end constitutes bending or breaking the wood in my book, as does burning it).<br /><br />Having said that, I suspect the nail was inserted by breaking off the end block and gluing it back on after inserting the nail. This is not too difficult and can be disguised by a clean break and careful application of the glue.<br /><br />What a long-winded way of saying it's a trick puzzle! :eek: :D

AK_Chappy

Lieutenant

I think I am going to snapper's advice.<br /><br />The nail is not really there. The nail is not really there. The nail is....OH damn, it is there!<br /><br />I cannot find any seams, either on the wood or the nail. The only thing I can see are marks on the nail where, when you pull it back as far as you can, it marks the edges of the middle blocks.<br />This lends credence to the nail being two or more pieces. I just don't want to destroy someone else's puzzle trying to get it apart.<br /><br />If it was mine, there would be vise grips involved!! :D <br /><br />AK Chappy

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

Chappy....did ya' try twisting it?<br /><br />EDIT: Bending the wood in an arch also seems like the only other alternative. Don't look like you'd need much to clear the nail head.