Put a steering wheel on 14' fiberglass console

jennis9

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hi all....

Got a 14' Troller jon boat. Cool little boat with lots of promise. We'll be adding a bimini, fish finder and hoping to put a steering wheel on the console.

The question is, what do we need to consider when choosing and installing a steering wheel and controls. Currently have a 1963 Merc 3.9, but might upgrade to our 1996 Merc 9.9

I have a suspicion that the controls are brand specific? Don't know anything about installing this setup from scratch... so let me know what we're up for.

Attachments

• IMAG0051.jpg
    IMAG0051.jpg
    137.5 KB · Views: 0

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Re: Put a steering wheel on 14' fiberglass console

I think 9.9 is the low end of engines setup to receive controls. For steering, Teleflex builds a rack and pinion single cable and a rotary. A lot of people (self included) are elated with their service, customer service, design assistance, product quality and performance. Controls can be purchased at numerous places (I think they are listed here too) or go to Teleflex online.

Mounting can be perpendicular to the for-aft line of the boat (on a console) or can be mounted to the side....a little inconvenient as you have to sit at somewhat of a sideways position, but it keeps the boat uncluttered without the requirement for a console.

Need to test the boat first with you in the position where you want to place the console to ensure that boat handling is what you want, especially in rough water....don't want it bow heavy. Additionally, if you setup your controls close to your engine, you will be right there to manually start it or lift it up if running shallow water/stumps et. al.

This is a start.

Mark

jennis9

Petty Officer 1st Class

Mark - thanks for the quick reply. The console is pictured in the photo close to the transom and yes, we can start, tilt and grab a tiller if needed from the console seat.

What are the advantages/disadvantages for rack and pinion vs rotary? Does this have any bearing on what wheel to consider too?

Jennis,

Things to consider for the steering:
1. Space behind the wheel inside the console. Rotary is more compact than a Rack type system. Also makes sure there is room behind the console surface in case you want to install gauges and switches. Sometimes the cable will be in the way.
2. Accurate measurement for the steering cable length is key; the Teleflex website can guide you through how to do that.
3. Make sure your motor can be set-up with steering. The motor bracket must have the steering tube as part of it so it can accept the end of the steering cable. If not, it can be rigged but is more complicated.

Things to consider for the controls
1. Most engine controls are manufacturer specific, however some of the generic controls can be used but you have to pay close attention the cable ends as those are all different for each motor manufacturer.
2. Plan the cables lengths so that there is a 1-2 foot loop just prior to connecting to the engine. This will allow for smoother shifting and pivoting of the motor during turns without stressing the cable ends/connections.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

Jennis,

Things to consider for the steering:
1. Space behind the wheel inside the console. Rotary is more compact than a Rack type system. Also makes sure there is room behind the console surface in case you want to install gauges and switches. Sometimes the cable will be in the way.
2. Accurate measurement for the steering cable length is key; the Teleflex website can guide you through how to do that.
3. Make sure your motor can be set-up with steering. The motor bracket must have the steering tube as part of it so it can accept the end of the steering cable. If not, it can be rigged but is more complicated.

Things to consider for the controls
1. Most engine controls are manufacturer specific, however some of the generic controls can be used but you have to pay close attention the cable ends as those are all different for each motor manufacturer.
2. Plan the cables lengths so that there is a 1-2 foot loop just prior to connecting to the engine. This will allow for smoother shifting and pivoting of the motor during turns without stressing the cable ends/connections.

Well said!

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

Added thought very important: What Greg said about smooth service loops in the cables cannot be overemphasized. Single cable remote cables are a SS cable inside a SS sheath covered by thermoplastic. If you "kink" the cable, you will kink the inner cable (can never completely get the kink out) and the steering quality will suffer.

Mark

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

your boat is very similar to the 13' Boston Whaler, so study how they are rigged. If you are upgrading your power, consider 18-25. Also think about cable/pulley steering, especially with a small motor.

jennis9

Petty Officer 1st Class

This is exactly what I was hoping for... thanks! We bought this one because it looked so familiar to a whaler... but only paid $450 for it. the deck arrangement is sweet (I have pics in my gallery). Feels like we stole it... Troller was manufactured by Troller Boat corp in Butler PA - in business from 1976-2004. Mainly did outboards and jon boats. I have no other info on them. but this is a whaler look-alike.

If anyone has links so I can reference whaler and/or small consoles -- or cool ideas -- I'd appreciate it. Have been looking in a few restoration and jon boat forums, but haven't quite found what I was looking for. Want this to be the inland lake fishing machine. Found a lot of info on tinnys and jon boat decks... but there are few console ideas there.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

Continuouswave.com is the whaler site but I hear they have become a bit snobby there. But as a 13' whaler owner, I suggest you copy theirs. Put the console on the side; it's no big deal to shift yourself toward center to trim the boat. I do not like individual seats on small boats and do not believe "high chairs" are necessary or a good idea. I like my whaler set up in that I can reach around and pull start the motor from the "helm."
Look at the old whalers with minimal seating, etc. inside. the newer ones than look like they have an insert are a waste of space in my book. Less is more. Perhaps lose the middle seat.

scoutabout

Lieutenant Commander

Hey nice boat! You said you were interested in other console ideas - here's a few shots of our tinnie-in-progress. My son and I are refurbing it for his use (used to me mine when I was his age...). Anyway - in these pics you can see how a prefab console was basically rivetted on to the side, teleflex rotary steering added along with Merc-specific controls.

By the way, that motor is a wee 7.5 hp so don't let anyone tell you there's such thing as too small for a console!

Super-simple setup, no clutter, a couple of old portable chairs and we're off to the races. On this boat the engine is too far away to start without getting up so I also moved the stop button from the engine to the key blank to at least reduce the hassle by half... Fit perfectly! I am going to change that again to a lanyard so if you go over the side the engine quits.

Anyway, not the same kind of boat as yours but thought you might like to see other console setups...

emmietinnieside.jpg

emmietinnieaft.jpg

tinnienewtransominterior.jpg

emmietinniedad.jpg

jennis9

Petty Officer 1st Class

scoutabout -- great pics thanks for sharing. that gives a good idea of the control and cables. ours has a prefab'd console as well.... more toward the aft - but good idea on the lanyard. Looks like your little buddy is having quite a day out. VERY cool.

We're not sure about what we'll be using for power yet - my better half wants more power. I like the motors we have.... we have electric - bow and transom. On our 22" Starcraft, we have a Merc 9.9 and because I have been hit with MBS (multiple boat syndrome) I got a 3.9 tossed into another $400 aluminum boat deal... the 3.9 is a 1963 and is an awesome style like yours. I love the square-ish pre-90's Mercs.

Well, we're in a weird spot, trying to decide if we'll be buying a 4-stroke for the kicker for the 22 and moving the rest around. Or something bigger. Have only had this one for two weeks, so decisions will be made over winter. And the console will be getting it's wooden insert. I'll be sure to post pics of the setup in the sunlight.

Keep the opinions and ideas coming!

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

here's a few shots of our tinnie-in-progress. My son and I are refurbing it for his use (used to me mine when I was his age...)

I would have KILLED for a rig like that when I was his age!!!

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

If your motor does not have a tilt tube, you'll need to add a clamp block to your shopping list: http://www.iboats.com/Corrosion-Res...5764940--**********.611379388--view_id.192758

8_CamoWhaler13Transom.jpg

I installed a brand new Teleflex rack system on my old boat and brand new Uflex rotary system on my current boat. I feel that the rotary has a little less "slop" to it than the rack. Just my opinion.

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

stick steer is another option...takes up less room in the boat

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

ezmobee, yours is a 13' whaler, right? Looks like a 1960's vintage. 25 hp Johnson?

As your picture shows, there isn't enough room for a steering rod to go through the tilt tube; it hits the port side of the transom on an "out" turn. To use the tilt tube, you either have to fill in the transom and get a long shaft motor, or carve out the port side about 8". I've seen both done* and while I wouldn't do it to a Whaler since it's a classic, I'd consider it for a copy.

*The filled transom job was DIY and looked like crap. the cut out job was highly professional and highly expensive, but it looked good.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

your boat is very similar to the 13' Boston Whaler, so study how they are rigged. If you are upgrading your power, consider 18-25. Also think about cable/pulley steering, especially with a small motor.

Sorry Sir, but when I was growing up that is all we had and compared to the single cable Teleflex that is available today it totally SUCKS............BAD INSTRUCTIONS.

Mark

scoutabout

Lieutenant Commander

I would have KILLED for a rig like that when I was his age!!!

LOL - I hear you ez - and thanks to the rest of you gents for the kind words.

I though I'd died and gone to heaven the day my dad got that console fitted up and let me loose on the lake. And watching my kid's face as he learns the ropes and talks excitedly about planning his first solo trip to the marina is priceless.

Even though it's a 14 footer it's fairly narrow with low sides so the weight isn't too bad and that little Merc scoots it along at a nice plane with two people on board.

I can't believe that boat is going on 40 years old (although the Merc is, I think a 77 and the console mod dates from the early 80s). When I mentioned to the fam that we were going to paint her I just about had a mutinee on my hands. They say they love the ratty peeling paint, scratches and scuffed floors. Gives her character or some such. I did draw the line at keeping the rotting transom inserts however and so at least got those items past the restoration committee. And certainly there isn't much to worry about in the cosmetic department when it gets bounced off the dock good and solid during a botched approach..;)

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

By the way, that motor is a wee 7.5 hp so don't let anyone tell you there's such thing as too small for a console!
Only limiting factor is the engine having receptacles for the cables. Now that you mention it I think I recall the '57 ish Johnson 5 1/2 having places to mount remotes....maybe just sharing parts with the larger engines, but receptacles are receptacles.

Mark