Purchasing 2nd Boat: Jet or Stern Drive?

CapRedbeard

Seaman Apprentice
We’re looking at both a 2006 Yamaha AR210 and a 2009 Larson LXI218 (5.7 Volvo). Prices are comparable and both are in great condition.

My wife and I are 90% sold on the pros of a jet drive (more seating, larger swim deck) but I’m personally struggling with the cons (louder engine noise and trickier docking/slow speed handling).

Anybody have experience with both and want to weigh in with their preference?

Family of 4 with two kids under 6. We would occasionally have up to 6 adults and 4 young children on cruises. Occasional tubing and wakeboarding.

alldodge

Staff member
Don't forget the jet is not as efficient, but does weigh about 500 lbs less then the larson

briangcc

Commander
Personally I wouldn't own a jet. I boat in weedy waters and the idea of having to dive under the boat to clear the intake does not interest me. Sucking up a rock or three isn't appealing either - I also boat in shallow water.

My cousin's daughter drove that part home this past summer. She wasn't paying attention to where the jetski was in relation to the tow rope off his deck boat. It sucked it right in and killed the jetski. They spent the better part of an hour with the jetski on a trailer pulling the tow rope out of the intake.

I'm a family of (5) and have a sterndrive. Next boat is an outboard - admiral is already onboard with the idea.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Jets are very inefficient.-----A 150 HP outboard with a jet pump is said to be equivalent to 105 HP.------That is how they are marketed.-----They do appeal to folks running in rivers where water levels change and sand bars change.----Every week end it is different.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Jet boats like the Yamaha are the left-overs from the jet boat craze of the 90's.

the pros/cons listed above are accurate.

some of the pros/cons not listed above:
  • no prop strikes with a jet
  • No impeller replacements with an I/O
  • skinny water with sand bottom means the Jet drafts much less
  • running over a bungee cord with a jet will ruin your vacation.
  • jets require throttle to turn which is tricky for the novice boater
  • Jets used to be really expensive to insure (at least back in 1999 they were 6X the cost of a boat with a prop)

having driven both, I would want an I/O or OB vs a jet for all around use.

CapRedbeard

Seaman Apprentice
alldodge - weight is a factor as well. The 22ft sterndrive will be close to max towing capacity of my tow vehicle.

Brian - I've been around jetskis for years - Agreed it's a small disadvantage, but I don't see this as a huge con. Yamaha has pretty slick cleanout port plugs accessible from the swim platform. Yes, still a slight disadvantage, but either way the captain still needs to be cautious of shallow water. Thanks for the input!

Scott - did you factor the larger cabin/layout size to your decision? That seems to be the biggest advantage to me and my family.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Scott - did you factor the larger cabin/layout size to your decision? That seems to be the biggest advantage to me and my family.
when I was in process to buy a SeaDoo speedster to replace the Avanti in 1999, the insurance and in-efficiency is what changed my mind (while at the dealer with bank check in hand) and I stayed with a prop boat. Something didnt sit right with me paying same for insurance and fuel in a month that I was normally paying for in a year.

from there, did the boat rental thing for a while, then picked up the searay. I have suffered twofootitis a few times. Currently, have the Cuddy, however thinking of dropping back down to a bow rider for the ability to beach the boat and jump off the bow (and get back up)

kenny nunez

Captain
I was a Berkeley/ Jacuzzi dealer for over 30 years.
I have owned and repaired all 4 styles of propulsion. Outboard, inboard, jet and stern drive.Needless to say there are legitimate
pros/cons. I have repaired many stern drives from hitting submerged objects causing some to sink. I once had a customer suck a parasail rope into his jet and that can happen with a propeller also.
Power Boat Magazine did a test with 2 identical boats with the same exact 350 Chevy engines. Cruising speed the fuel consumption was identical.
I had a 18’ Taylor with a 460/Berkeley that I had to almost go full throttle to get it to plane because of the weight of the engine causing “power drag”. That is where the extra fuel gets used.
My current boat is a 20’ Taylor 454/Berkeley with a Jet O Vater power trim and the boat planes off easier than the other Taylor.
Todays Yamaha and others jets are more economical and with less moving parts means less maintenance.
The 31‘ PBR boats the Navy used in Viet Nam had twin Jacuzzi/ V6 Detroit diesels the LST that I was on supported some in the Mekong Delta. These boats could go from full speed to reverse within their length.
In the movie “Live And Let Die” filmed here in Louisiana the scene where Rodger Moore slides into the wedding scene in the Glastron jet boat is the second take. The first one the day before he hit a tree and knocked out 2 of his teeth. They do not steer good on land.
I had a friend who got crushed by the 454 in his jet boat when he got drunk and hit a rock jetty at night causing the engine to tear loose from the mounts. Needless to say drunk boating is not smart.
So there it is the choices are up to you.

Last edited:

alldodge

Staff member
Power Boat Magazine did a test with 2 identical boats with the same exact 350 Chevy engines. Cruising speed the fuel consumption was identical.

Would sure like to see that report
Not saying PB Mag would stretch the truth about anything, just saying :unsure:

kenny nunez

Captain
The test was done around 1973. I would also like to read the article again.
Check out the propulsion on the Navy’s Litoral Combat Ships.The ones being built at the Austel ship yard in Mobile has 4 pumps.

alldodge

Staff member
The test was done around 1973. I would also like to read the article again.
Check out the propulsion on the Navy’s Litoral Combat Ships.The ones being built at the Austel ship yard in Mobile has 4 pumps.

I know both the of the LCS class ships very well. Was the Logistics Manager for the 57MM on the bow for them

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral
We’re looking at both a 2006 Yamaha AR210 and a 2009 Larson LXI218 (5.7 Volvo). Prices are comparable and both are in great condition.

My wife and I are 90% sold on the pros of a jet drive (more seating, larger swim deck) but I’m personally struggling with the cons (louder engine noise and trickier docking/slow speed handling).

Anybody have experience with both and want to weigh in with their preference?

Family of 4 with two kids under 6. We would occasionally have up to 6 adults and 4 young children on cruises. Occasional tubing and wakeboarding.
You didnt mention it but my vote goes to an outboard!! Charlie

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
I'm an old fart (don't call me an old fogie, though.....LOl). I've owned / run them all since the very beginning. I've been a boater for 67 years, and I've owned my OWN boat for 54 years.

What I'm about to say is strictly my OPINION, based on the aforementioned experience. Plus, I may extend beyond your question....

Forget the 2-stroke outboard. Old technology, no sense to even talk about it.

Forget the 4-stroke sterndrive - too much maintenance.

Forget the Jet. Simply not viable because of maintenance, high fuel usage, sucking up weeds, etc., etc.

The way of the future is with 4-stroke outboards. Economy, goes fast, excellent speed and hole shot and awesome prop slip.

These are the best of times and if you can afford the ride, it's the only way to go....

CapRedbeard

Seaman Apprentice
Jim - We don't see to many boats with outboards that aren't fishing boats in the great plains..

Greatly appreciate everybody's input. I got exactly what I came for - some jet boat detractors LOL.

Scott06

Vice Admiral
Jim - We don't see to many boats with outboards that aren't fishing boats in the great plains..

Greatly appreciate everybody's input. I got exactly what I came for - some jet boat detractors LOL.
One more jet boat detractor- if you like to water ski the wake behind a jet is less smooth in my opinion than a stern drive wake. Also we have a ton of issue with weeds in our jetski so I can imagine a jet boat would be any different. On the ski who cares you are wet anyways but other times when yo are on a sunset cruise that could be a PITA

Jim is right the new 4 strokes are pretty amazing engineering and quiet, but having the stern and swim platform open and uninterrupted is huge for me. We spend a lot of time on the swim deck on the stern.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
I'm an old fart (don't call me an old fogie, though.....LOl). I've owned / run them all since the very beginning. I've been a boater for 67 years, and I've owned my OWN boat for 54 years.

What I'm about to say is strictly my OPINION, based on the aforementioned experience. Plus, I may extend beyond your question....

Forget the 2-stroke outboard. Old technology, no sense to even talk about it.

Forget the 4-stroke sterndrive - too much maintenance.

Forget the Jet. Simply not viable because of maintenance, high fuel usage, sucking up weeds, etc., etc.

The way of the future is with 4-stroke outboards. Economy, goes fast, excellent speed and hole shot and awesome prop slip.

These are the best of times and if you can afford the ride, it's the only way to go....
Tend to agree. All depending on budget of course…but I’d assume the money needed for these boats mentioned…you’d manage a lovely outboard boat in budget. I love my special 18ft v8 Chase 550…but never use it these days. Always use the 19ft cuddy with her ridiculously amazing 4 stroke merc 115 CT. just an incredible outboard to have. So powerful and stupid good on fuel. Had it since it had 18 hours on her. Now has over 900 and faultless. Will cruise at early 20’s and do 1.5-1.7 miles per litre. Just incredible how far mercury have came with the newer 4 strokes. Also as light or lighter than the 2 stroke equivalent, amazingly…despite being a much larger displacement. Will actually leave behind identical boats with even a 125 optimax on them.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

I can't say I'm a detractor, per se'. We have a jetski, so it's not like I wouldn't own one. Its a fun toy and we enjoy it. But, then again when she clogs up I'm already wet so its no problem going diving to get her running again. I put up with the oil sucking and winterizing just because even us old farts like to have a thrill once in awhile.....LOL. But I'm threw winterizing an I/O.

We live in the Great Lakes. More and more of the newer family boats are coming with OBs. When I say "family boat" I mean a 19-24' bowrider.

The Donzi, Fountain, etc. gofasts used to have twin 454's. Now, almost all of them have 3 or 4 outboards on the back.

Ten years ago the boating mags all talked about inboard something or others. My last mag issue was 95% OB.

KD4UPL

Senior Chief Petty Officer
My sister didn't like skiing behind a jet boat. She said the water was "soft" and didn't support the skis as well. I would guess this is due to arreation by the jet.
I don't like noise so I wouldn't pick a jet. I'm firmly an I/O guy. I don't want that OB sticking up in the middle of our lounge/ swim/ towsports space. Plus, an I/O just looks better.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
My sister didn't like skiing behind a jet boat. She said the water was "soft" and didn't support the skis as well. I would guess this is due to arreation by the jet.
I don't like noise so I wouldn't pick a jet. I'm firmly an I/O guy. I don't want that OB sticking up in the middle of our lounge/ swim/ towsports space. Plus, an I/O just looks better.
That's really funny. It just shows how opinions differ from person to person.

Outboards have ZERO noise (almost). We still have 75% of our swim platform for lounging, on both sides of the OB. Plus, we have a HUGE lounge above what would have been the I/O, and the big hole beneath houses more stuff than I ever imagined.

After running I/O's for 35 years, that HUGE black max hanging of the transom just looks SOOOOO cool.

All the rich Millenniums in my neighborhood have traded their Donzi 454's for multiple outboards.

Attachments

• P6090873edited.JPG
    P6090873edited.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 6

alldodge

Staff member
Hey Jim no offense, but ya didn't do your self any favors posting a pic of the boat. The swim deck without the extra OB didn't have 75% left. Maybe 50% w/o extra OB