Properly sealing rivets and bolts on aluminum Jon boat

Southern Appal

Seaman Apprentice
Hello, folks,

I recently bought a beat-up Jon boat (said to be 1968 Polar Kraft). It has adhesive or sealant on a number of rivets, nuts, and bolts. I can't identify the stuff and I think it should be removed and these areas more properly and neatly sealed with Gluvit or 5200. Advice on removal and sealing is much appreciated.

077.jpg079.jpg

Many of the nuts and bolts on the transom have sealant.

063.jpg

Wiring is held in place with the stuff as well.

083.jpg

And this brace is entirely covered with what looks like silicon sealer.

082.jpg

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Re: Properly sealing rivets and bolts on aluminum Jon boat

If that White stuff is Rock Hard it could very well be 3M 5200 poorly applied. Regardless it all needs to be removed prolly hammer and chisel.

Gluvit Is epoxy based so if you use it, bear in mind you will need to paint it to protect it from the Sun.

Southern Appal

Seaman Apprentice

Didn't know that about Gluvit. Probably will paint eventually, but really just want to get on the water this season.

If I have to take hammer and chisel to sealant, won't that damage the bolts/nuts/rivets? Then I would have to replace them all and use 5200 in the holes first?

pckeen

Commander

Try a wire wheel - that may take the sealant off fairly quickly - worked on my boat.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014

Looks like the PO used whatever he could find to smear on those areas. Some is silicone and the white stuff looks more like "snow seal" for a roof. To do it right, your going to have to remove the fasteners that are slathered with the goop, clean them up and refit them with the proper sealant. A wire wheel makes short work of silicone sealers. The snow seal looking stuff will only have a slight mechanical bind on the fastener and won't be adhered to the aluminum. It should pop off using a steel putty knife and a hammer to pop it.

Good luck and have fun!