Proper use of manual choke

zippy83

Chief Petty Officer
Ok I think I have asked every possible question that can be asked on outboards, except for this one. I was told when the engine is cold to pull up the choke and turn the engine on, keep cranking until it turns on. keep the choke on for a while until engine is stable.

Other guy told me to keep cranking and pulling up and down the choke in that process until engine turns on. Keep the choke on for at least 15 sec and pull it down.

And the guy at work told me not to use the manual choke, but to use the choke that is built in to the ignition. When you turn the key one position to the right you can hear a Click.

What is the proper use of using the choke?

Thanks a lot
Zipp

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Re: Proper use of manual choke

We discussed this the other day somewhere on this site.

A manual choke is a knob sticking out of the cowling that you pull on to choke. Purpose is to cause a rich mixture in the carb.....regular amount of gas, but no air to speak of, but on a venturi you need air to suck the fuel up out of the bowl.

An electric choke is an electrical solenoid remotely operated that pulls the choke disc over the venturi just like a manual choke only it is remotely controlled by 12v and you don't have the lever sticking out.

Fuel enrichment is the addition of an additional amount of fuel into the carburetor or reeds for the same purpose, i.e. to increase the amount of fuel vs air, via a remotely controlled 12v solenoid.

The electrical choking devices are controlled in the remote control or somewhere nearby; depends on the type of control.

The Merc method is a switch that surrounds the key. The key is turned to the first position which is where it is when running....the Run position. In that position the key is depressed, pushed into the control which sends 12v to one of the mentioned solenoids. After a few seconds the key is rotated on over to Start and depending on the engine and how long is has been sitting, and what kind of shape it's in it will start or a repeat of the process is required. If the engine has been run and hasn't been off for very long the choke is not normally used.

The Fast Idle control on the control box is part of the starting process and is initially raised as far as it will go without forcing and when the engine lights off it is used to keep the rpms around 2000. If the engine starts but after a couple of seconds, when cold, it stutters, push the key in until it catches and let go. After the engine has warmed up to suit you, push the fast idle all the way down and be about your business.

The manual choke does the same thing just requires you to manipulate the shutter valve at the entrance to the venturi by hand. On them, sometimes you don't have a fast idle on the control box so you just full choke it to start and then when it lights off, keep some choke on it....partial choke, push the knob part way down till it warms up then push it all the way down.

Mark

zippy83

Chief Petty Officer

Mark,

I really appreciate the explanation but the question still remains how should I go about using my setup?

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

Mark,

I really appreciate the explanation but the question still remains how should I go about using my setup?

Post 3 pictures: One of the front of the engine with the cowl on showing the location of the choke knob. Second, a picture of the front of the carbs showing the butterflies and the carb venturi area. Third, your console, showing the engine controls.

Mark

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

IF you have an electric choke, why in hell would you want to use the manual override -- unless the electric doesn't work?

With a manual choke why in hell would you want to go about flapping it back and forth as described? It is a tool, not a toy!

To cold start any small outboard with a manual choke, you pull out the knob, leave it alone and pull start the engine. When the engine starts, you push in the choke knob.

To cold start an electric start engine with electric choke, you depress the key and while holding it depressed you turn the key to start. When the engine fires you release the key.

IN either case, if the engine does not fire or is very difficult to start, find out what the real problem is. Playing with the choke to start an engine is simply masking a problem--either fuel or ignition, or possibly even as simple as fouled sparkplugs.

64osby

Admiral

1+ on what Frank said. The manual choke and the electric choke do the same thing. Choke on for cold starts, off when engine is running. Some warm starts may require a little choke. If my motor won't start a bump of the choke will usually get it to fire.

Bondo

Staff member

Mark,

Ayuh,... In this picture, the big lever is the throttle/ shift....
The little lever is the cold start Throttle, 'n the button is the Choke....
IMG_7918_zps6c19769b.jpg

zippy83

Chief Petty Officer

Ayuh,... In this picture, the big lever is the throttle/ shift....
The little lever is the cold start Throttle, 'n the button is the Choke....
IMG_7918_zps6c19769b.jpg

The button there does not work, I was told that it was replaced by the choke in the ignition. When I put the key in and push in and turn to the right I hear a click, and one more turn to the right will crank the engine.

So from this thread I learned:

Use the electronic choke when the motor is cold, don't use choke if the motor is not cold.

If the small lever is a cold start throttle, isn't that the same thing as the choke? I shouldn't be using that?

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

With manual or remote choke a cold start motor should fire within a few seconds.
You may have to lower the fast idle lever to tame the revving motor.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

The button there does not work, I was told that it was replaced by the choke in the ignition. When I put the key in and push in and turn to the right I hear a click, and one more turn to the right will crank the engine.

So from this thread I learned:

Use the electronic choke when the motor is cold, don't use choke if the motor is not cold.

If the small lever is a cold start throttle, isn't that the same thing as the choke? I shouldn't be using that?
The cold start/fast idle lever is just that a faster idle for a cold start its there because on a single lever remote you can't advance the throttle lever without it going into gear.Needs to be used with the choke.

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

Pump up the fuel primer bulb first. Then raise the fast idle lever about 1/3 of the way up. Turn the key to the ON position, push in on the key switch and start the motor. If the motor starts to die, push the key switch IN intermittently until the motor will stay running. Those older Mercs are pretty cold natured, so even after stopping for a short while (say 1/2 hours or so), you may need to choke it again to restart it even though the motor may still be somewhat warm. Just don't overdo it and flood the motor. Always try to start the warm motor without the choke.

zippy83

Chief Petty Officer

cool... Thank you all for clearing this up. So it turns out I only have one choke (electronic) and a manual fast idle lever that should e used with choke when the motor is cold.

Thanks a lot!!!
Zipp

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Never drove a carbureted car with a manual choke did you? "Grin". And just so you know, nearly every carbureted engine on the planet will have a different starting procedure -- hot and or cold. Some want lots of choke when cold along with some throttle advance. Some don't need so much. Others need a little throttle advance and NO choke when warm. Other need no throttle advance or choke when warm. You need to experiment but here are some positives.

1) It is to your benefit to use at least 1/3 up on the fast idle when starting cold.
2) It does not hurt to add a little fast idle when warm.
3) Push in on the key and hold it in while cranking the engine. When it fires, let off the key.
4) If the engine begins to gag and die after starting (cold) then be ready to "bump" the key (push it in momentarily) to give the engine a shot of extra fuel. Don't wait until it dies. Pay attention. You can tell when this is about to happen. Don't let the engine rev highly after starting. Reduce the fast idle to a more comfortable idle but not all the way down.
5) When the engine has a stable idle, lower the fast idle lever and go boating.

zippy83

Chief Petty Officer

Roger that silvertip... I will try it out tomorrow if I get some time. Thanks again...

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Your choke is the push button rather than on the key so you need to fix that. It may also be that the key switch has been replaced withthe oush to choke feature so verify what you have.

zippy83

Chief Petty Officer

Your choke is the push button rather than on the key so you need to fix that. It may also be that the key switch has been replaced withthe oush to choke feature so verify what you have.

I was told from the person who sold me that boat that the original Button like choke was for the original outboard that was smaller then this one. When they upgraded to the 50HP outboard it was moved to the ignition. At that time I didn't have much time to research since I had other people looking at the same boat.