proper propellor selection

mstrud

Seaman
Thread starter
Joined
Dec 5, 2007
Messages
72
I'm debating buying a new used motor. I know if i do one of the first things it;ll need is a new prop. the old one's fairly worn and it looks too raked to put on a 20 foot pontoon. the boat is a 20 foot pontoon, not much on deck, no furnature slowing me down. Ideal running conditions would be three adults and a cooler. the motor is a 1997 johnson 50, I2. what pitch should i be considering for this application. Anyone know of any referance charts etc. for this sort of thing? thank you fellow mariners
 

Silvertip

Honorary Supreme Mariner
Joined
Sep 22, 2003
Messages
28,772
Re: proper propellor selection

12-1/2 x 13 or 13 x 11 should do the trick. Depends on weight and load. I'm guessing, but the 13 x 11 might be the better choice as those motors like to get up in the rpm band.
 

walleyehed

Admiral
Joined
Jun 29, 2003
Messages
6,767
Re: proper propellor selection

I agree with the 11P..Likely the best starting point.
 
Top