Propeller

spider1255

Cadet
I need to replace my 2034P15 Quicksilver propeller on my 2000 125HP Mercury pushing my 24ft tritoon. I do a lot of tubing with my grandkids would it be beneficial to go with a smaller pitch propeller?
Any recommendations on a replacement would be much appreciated.

alldodge

Staff member
I wouldn't reduce pitch, while it will have better hole shot but the rpm will increase and can over rev. If you have an aluminum prop now could look at same pitch stainless

Scott06

Vice Admiral
I need to replace my 2034P15 Quicksilver propeller on my 2000 125HP Mercury pushing my 24ft tritoon. I do a lot of tubing with my grandkids would it be beneficial to go with a smaller pitch propeller?
What do you get for WOT rpm now and how does that compare to the engine WOT rpm rating?

As outlined above it is typical to use a power prop (aka lower pitch) for water sports but if you are already at or near WOT rpm max you may over rev. On my old boat that was under powered (3.0 merc) I used to swap props one for cruising one for skiing which got to be a pain..

I have settled on 4 blades for how I use my boat as my primary use is a bunch of people in the boat and towing a tube, wakeboard, or skiier... You have a basic Black Max aluminum prop, definitely a good ss would show some improvement but takes some experimentation to hone in on the ideal prop for a use

Is there a local prop shop or marina you can work with to try before you buy?

airshot

Rear Admiral
Or...prop for the performance you want then watch your tach !!! Many run lower pitch props but keep a close eye on their RPM's

jlh3rd

Chief Petty Officer
like everyone is saying...what is the max rpm now?
On my 24' twin tube pontoon with my new 115 ct merc,, they put a 4 blade 14x14 on it...max rpm was 5800 but with teen age tubers and others on board, especially when turning....My rpm's would drop to 5200+/-....
So, I stuck a 3 blade, 16x12 on it. I can over rev if I dont watch it when I'm not loaded, but I could pull two tubes with 5 teeneagers on them, and 4 adults in the boat and still keep 5600+ rpm even on the turns.....
so yep, what are the specific #'s?

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
I wouldn't reduce pitch, while it will have better hole shot but the rpm will increase and can over rev. If you have an aluminum prop now could look at same pitch stainless
That engine, like my 2002 115, has a rev limiter designed to kick in at 5250. Let him go.

spider1255

Cadet
What do you get for WOT rpm now and how does that compare to the engine WOT rpm rating?

As outlined above it is typical to use a power prop (aka lower pitch) for water sports but if you are already at or near WOT rpm max you may over rev. On my old boat that was under powered (3.0 merc) I used to swap props one for cruising one for skiing which got to be a pain..

I have settled on 4 blades for how I use my boat as my primary use is a bunch of people in the boat and towing a tube, wakeboard, or skiier... You have a basic Black Max aluminum prop, definitely a good ss would show some improvement but takes some experimentation to hone in on the ideal prop for a use

Is there a local prop shop or marina you can work with to try before you buy?
interesting enough my first trip out this year the engine was just below 6000 RPMs (Mercury 125HP ELPT) pushing a 24ft tritoon - going about 27MPH; however, when I stopped to float for awhile and restarted it stayed at 5K RPM and only around 22MPH. No tubing, just four of us cruising the lake.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
I have been Fortunate, I have never had an Engine that had Rev Limiter. They can certainly interfere with prop selection

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
are you sayinig to disable the rev limiter?
I guess I missed answering this. Yes but with reservations as stated. Its a real simple task and could be the smoking gun. The yellow/black, or black/yellow pin on the limiter is the killer...disconnect it and if that's the problem, keep your RPMs below 5250. Faztbullet has answsered the question years ago....pistons get destroyed....forget the actual damage.