Prop shaft end play

bwkre

Petty Officer 2nd Class
1976 Evinrude 25 hp, 25652E.

I have no history on this motor and have only run it in a drum of water once. I was doing a gearbox pressure test and had the prop removed. I noticed shifting from neutral to reverse that the prop shaft moved in. I was able to measure .030" movement.
When shifting to fwd, the shaft moves in then back out and is springy if you push on the end of it while in fwd
In neutral you can push the shaft in and it springs back out.

.030 seems like a lot of movement, would it be a concern or not?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
All normal in my opinion.----But no special tools or skill required to have a look inside.---Just take it apart.

bwkre

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thank you sir, I was hoping you would reply!
Looks like it was assembled with silicone so I may just order a kit & reseal, although it's held about 15psi for about 1 1/2 hours now.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Silicone is a bad sign ------I suggest taking it apart before launching the boat.------Needs the impeller inspected or a new one installed.

bwkre

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Just had it apart to check the impeller, its good but the water tube grommet on the top of the pump was folded in, choking off the flow.
I see what appears to be silicone between the head and the lower case half in behind the prop area.
I would have a hard time selling it knowing there is an obvious issue ( I don't plan on keeping it).

Thanks for the input.

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
There should be a thrust washer at the forward gear and at the reverse gear. Both in place?

bwkre

Petty Officer 2nd Class
There should be a thrust washer at the forward gear and at the reverse gear. Both in place?
No idea as I've yet to take it apart. On Racerone's suggestion I will find out soon!

bwkre

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Both thrust washers are in place, all cleaned & ready to assemble.