Prop question

Soreal53

Seaman
I have 1994 volvo penta v6 sx. I bought it around 3years ago and the pic is the prop as how it came. Am I loosing horse power or making it hard to plane out?

Attachments

• photo201070.jpg
    photo201070.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Starcraft5834

Lieutenant Commander
What performance numbers are you now getting with that prop? Top speed? At what rpm? Does it reach plane when u punch it quickly? Ie. 5 sec or so...we need to know these things before you will get usefull suggestions

Soreal53

Seaman
My top speed is around 35-40 and my rpms usually go high and I never plane out in 5 seconds. Usually plane out in 10-15 seconds or could be more.

jestor68

Commander
It doesn't take a lot of damage to affect the performance of a prop. That prop would not perform well compared to a new one.

I recommend a new prop and keep that one for a spare.

Select a prop pitch that allows the WOT rpm range of 4400-4800 rpm(180/185 hp), or 4200-4600(160 hp).

You can use the Mercury prop selector for a recommendation on a size.

Last edited:

MikDee

Banned
Take off the prop, and read the numbers on the hub, so we can get an idea of what you got.

Starcraft5834

Lieutenant Commander
My top speed is around 35-40 and my rpms usually go high and I never plane out in 5 seconds. Usually plane out in 10-15 seconds or could be more.

how high is high? as to your RPM top end? that prop should go for sure...as jestor said, keep that as a spare in emergency...

SkiDad

Lieutenant Commander
definately get a new one - i had one small piece out of my dad's prop several years ago and it really had a hard time pulling me up on skis - I didn't even know we hit that day but when I saw the small piece of the prop I was surprised how much pulling power it lost b/c of it.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Use the numbers on the prop to get a new one or give us the numbers And we will help.
You need the new prop to get your wot rpm and gps speed in real; numbers guess work won't work.
We also need to know about your boat.Size, weight, typical load and activities.
Its possible you may need to refine your prop selection after we get your numbers with the new prop.

Soreal53

Seaman
My prop numbers are 14 1/2 x19 and its a Michigan wheel. Also on back it has the numbers 8329. My boat is a 1994 is a 1994 ski boat with inboard volvo penta v6. It's a ski boat. We usually have 6-8 people in it and use it to cruise around lake and pull tubes. I'm not sure about weight... Do people usually just get the same prop that was damaged or do I have more options? Also in case this helps the serial number on drive reads 4112004614 Type sxs Ratio 166

MikDee

Banned
Sounds like with that load, for tubing or skiing, you need a good 4 blade 17" pitch prop. That should pull like gangbusters! but, you might lose a couple mph at top end.

Starcraft5834

Lieutenant Commander
Soreal, we really need to know what your WOT is.. WOT= wide open throttle.. when you get on plane with a normal load.. what does your tachometer read? that will say a lot about what's going on here. Without that, only guesses can be offered.. with a thin beat up prop.. I would imagine your WOT would be high and above the recommended range of your engine.. As Mik said...if you normally have a load of folks and tube and such,, a 4 blade would be a smart move.. what 4 blade depends on what you tell us about your engine and your current WOT number

Soreal53

Seaman
Not sure on my wot but called around and the marine shop close to me rebuilds props and can refurbish mine for $80.00. Comparing the price to buying new I think this is my best bet.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Get it rebuilt and then get us the wot rpm and gps speed we may be able to suggest some options.