Prop Play on New Quicksilver Prop

CJ River Rider

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Have a 1995 or so Mercury Force 70HP motor which had a 10" 17 pitch prop. The Mercury dealer suggested and sold me a 10-1/8" 15 pitch prop. When I picked it up, he set inside the prop the Flo-Torq hub for me. After installation, I notice the prop can slide up and down about a 1/8" between the forward thrust washer and drive sleeve adapter. Is this normal? With play already in the prop shaft plus the added prop play, the whole propeller moves back and forth about 3/16" or so.

Thanks in advance for any help.

The prop nut is torqued to 55lbs. as suggested.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: Prop Play on New Quicksilver Prop

104_7282.jpg104_7281.jpg104_7278.jpg104_7280.jpg104_7279.jpg

NO, It is not normal. Some props need a special thrust washer to fit correctly. If your old prop had a stepped thrust washer, the new one may need a flat thrust washer.

At this point, before running the boat, check that when you push the prop all the way down onto the thrust washer, the hub does not rub on the lower unit housing. If you do not have ant interference problem, then it is acceptable to put a couple of washers (large enough to slide over the shaft splines) under the prop nut washer to take up the slack.

Oh, BTW: Some props require a special bronze fitting that goes over the exposed splines and locks the prop nut using a special stainless washer. I have seen it on the bigger Mercury and Force engines but not on the 70. Doesn't mean it wasn't used at one time though.

jestor68

Commander

The correct Quicksilver prop is a QA2084X (10-1/8 X 15). It has a pressed in hub and comes with all the necessary hardware for proper installation.

The prop he sold you is for a Mercury.

As an alternative, you could use a Solas Rubex hub (#114 I think) as that is interchangeable with Mercury"s Flo Torque system(only better).

CJ River Rider

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Frank,

Thanks, I will recheck installation again on Monday and call the dealer if need be.

Jestor68,

The part number you show is what I was sold, I'm looking at the box now. It came with hub kit Flo-Torq Reflex 835257Q12. The dealer knew it was a Force. Thanks.

CJ River Rider

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Called Mercury and dealer who sold me the prop. Both told me there is 1/8" play designed in. As per the pictures below, the drive sleeve adapter stops at a point on the drive shaft to allow the prop to slide back and forth 1/8". The old prop just slid all the way back on the thrust washer.

P7010790.jpgP7010791.jpgP7010792.jpgP7010793.jpgP7010794.jpg