Prop outboard on Jet tunnel?

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: Prop outboard on Jet tunnel?

Since jet outboards perform about 3/4 as much as equal horsepower propeller outboard engines, you would be safe using a 60 HP outboard. If you use a regular outboard, because of the tunnel, you will need to play around with the engine height to get optimal depth without too much drag or without encountering ventilation and cavitation. What height? Can't say. Depends upon how the hull rides. This is really a question you should direct toward the manufacturer. Since the hull is optimized for jet drive, they may very well strongly recommend against a conventional outboard.

This is a tunnel hull with a conventional outboard. In this case, because of the way it rides, I have the cav plate set about midway between the top pf the tunnel and the bottom of the hull. That's correct for this hull, others will be different.

Attachments

• 100_6190.jpg
    100_6190.jpg
    142.5 KB · Views: 0

ThePartsMan

Petty Officer 3rd Class

That's a lot different setup than I am talking about. Neat boat though.
This one is a 3 degree bottom jon boat with a pocket tunnel at the very back.
Similar rules apply?

I'm not worried about getting maximum top speed.
Just a fishing boat.
Still I want to be able to get up on plane reliably.

pootnic

Chief Petty Officer

My boats real similar to that one C1652V.
I'm rated for 60hp console and 35 tiller.
I currently have a 30hp Mariner/Yamaha(tiller),gets up on plane with ease.WOT approx 27mph,with just me but all my fishing stuff/battery,trolling motor,anchor, etc.
I'm pretty much flush with the bottom of the tunnel...just make sure your motor is pumping good water and take it from there.My boat has a 6 degree deadrise so it might be different then yours.
Had a 40hp on it,only around 3mph faster...still like to have one again though:)

ThePartsMan

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thank you pootnic. The boats are very similar.
Yours is a little lighter but runs a little deeper.

I bet I would get about the same performance.