Prop caught on trap, engine wont turn over

ICISIC

Recruit
Super newbie to boating here guys. I have a Yamaha 115 on a Sea Hunt Triton. Prop got stuck on a crab trap and shut off engine. Engine wouldnt turn over afterward. Tried to spin prop manually but it was almost too stuck to move at all. Had to be towed in. I am somewhat handy, but am on the deficit side of boat engine knowledge. Any recommendation for DIY fixes?
All help is sincerely appreciated!

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Sounds like a problem with the gearcase. You must have hit that trap at high RPMs. You should drop the gearcase and see if that frees up the crankshaft.

If so, you probably need a new gearcase (see SEI for replacement) or perhaps a repair. I would check the driveshaft and see if she is true. If not, the new gearcase is likely the way to go.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
If the drive shaft's splines has not been stripped off due to a sudden stop at speed, seems the gear case has suffered the consequences.

Happy Boating

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
If the driveshaft spines have been stripped, the crankshaft would likely turn.

I think either the prop shaft is bent enough to jam the gears or the bearings broke in the gearcase, or the driveshaft is bent enough to jam the crankshaft.

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
does the starter engage but not turn the motor?
or is the starter not even tying to energize?

some 4 stroke motors have the oil pump run off of the drive shaft, so if that is not in place then there is no oil being pumped
It is always a good idea to state the complete model # of the motor you are talking about

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
In fact. Take the plugs out and see if you can turn it over by hand.

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
1st thing to do would be pull the prop off and make sure nothing is binding up between the prop and gear case