Prop bearing cage

Milo1105

Seaman Apprentice
Where can I find this part ? Mines toast I do believe, I think it’s the prop bearing cage, also how do I install the new seal I got, the forbidden screw on lower unit that connects to control rod

Attachments

• IMG_1028.jpeg
    IMG_1028.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 3
  • IMG_1029.jpeg
    IMG_1029.jpeg
    8.6 KB · Views: 3

Milo1105

Seaman Apprentice
I bought a lower unit seal kit and there’s a few I’m unsure of how to install , my seal to the hex nut and thread by control rod is leaking and needs replaced , the forbidden screw on lower needs replaced, where does the orange and yellow and very small black o ring go to ? And the larger o ring (not the one that goes to bearing cage ) any info is helpful

Nordin

Commander
What engine are we talking about, year or model number and Hp.
Is the seal kit for your engine?
The seal kit can be a universal that can fit other Hp and models.
You can find the bearing cage at Ebay or Franz Marine.
To change the seal pull the bearing out and pry out the seal and put the new one in.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Ebay has a couple.
Put this # and description in the top space.
Man are they expensive up to 200 + shipping. I guess they want to retire early.
PROPELLER SHAFT BEARING CAGE 817731A-5
The parts in the bags cover a bunch of different motors and you might not use them all???
Just resealed a 225 Mercury lower and had 4 pieces left over and no idea where they go.

Milo1105

Seaman Apprentice
Ebay has a couple.
Put this # and description in the top space.
Man are they expensive up to 200 + shipping. I guess they want to retire early.
PROPELLER SHAFT BEARING CAGE 817731A-5
The parts in the bags cover a bunch of different motors and you might not use them all???
Just resealed a 225 Mercury lower and had 4 pieces left over and no idea where they go.
How about the forbidden screw on the back on the gear housing ? I have a leaking seal I was told never to pull it , also how do I remove the gears inside gear case ? Is it got to do with the nut behind bearing cage ?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Yes , that nut holds the lower half on.---Along with a stud / nut at the front.-----You can pull that pivot pin if you are taking the whole unit apart.

Milo1105

Seaman Apprentice
Yes , that nut holds the lower half on.---Along with a stud / nut at the front.-----You can pull that pivot pin if you are taking the whole unit apart.
Ok how about the screw on back of housing in between the gear oil fill and drain hole screw

racerone

Supreme Mariner
It is a pivot pin for shifter.----Take it out in order to take the lower unit apart.----Have a gearcase like that on the shelf here.----And one that is all apart.----They are easy to work on in my opinion !

Milo1105

Seaman Apprentice
Everyone talks about how a pain it is to remove that pivot pin and a pain to get it back together makes me nervous as hell lol
It is a pivot pin for shifter.----Take it out in order to take the lower unit apart.----Have a gearcase like that on the shelf here.----And one that is all apart.----They are easy to work on in my opinion !

Milo1105

Seaman Apprentice
Also the hex nut on top next to the control shaft is I remove the nut and pry old o ring out would it hurt anything as long as I put a new o ring in because mines leaking

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Many folks have removed that pivot pin when trying to change the oil !!----That is a mistake.----If you are taking everything apart there is no need to worry when taking the pin out.----Did I say these lower units are easy to work on ??

Milo1105

Seaman Apprentice
Many folks have removed that pivot pin when trying to change the oil !!----That is a mistake.----If you are taking everything apart there is no need to worry when taking the pin out.----Did I say these lower units are easy to work on ??
Last question in order to get the guts out of the gear case (all the gears ) so I remove the bolt inside the cone behind prop and the nut on top near water pump ? And everything slides out ?

Milo1105

Seaman Apprentice
Last question in order to get the guts out of the gear case (all the gears ) so I remove the bolt inside the cone behind prop and the nut on top near water pump ? And everything slides out ?
And is there any special alignment when re installing the gears