Project Fuggly - No Longer Fuggly And Splashed!!!!!!

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Welcome aboard Dozer! Frideray, hopefully everyone will say that when I pull up at the beach :D

Sphelps, that is an interesting thought, never thought of using FRP. This is one of the options I had in my head, replace the plywood with u foam. http://www.fibreglast.com/product/Vinyl_Foam_4lb_Density/Foam

But like Seacast, probally more money than I want to spend on this project. More than likely you are right Wood, I bet I used some plywood and call it a day. I do have several sheets of 1/2" Acuroply in the shop already.

zool

Captain
Based on the photo JB posted, women seem to disrobe in those hulls....cant be bad ;)

jbcurt00

Staff member
Based on the photo JB posted, women seem to disrobe in those hulls....cant be bad ;)

Shush Zool, I'm hoping it happens spontaneous once I get a Deluxe home & the Admiral aboard.... :D

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
You mean women will disrobe to ride on a Johnson .......fiberglass boat ?

Rickmerrill

Senior Chief Petty Officer
So now something that starts out being fuggly has become a chick magnet? Hum. I'm thinking the artist that sketched that never dropped two and a half feet in a cathedral hull. That's usually about the time I finish yelling "everybody hold on"!

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Well I guess we will have to see how the chick magnet thing works next summer. I spent this weekend cleaning, winterizing and getting ready for the first cold front......I'm already not enjoying this....but it is good boat repair weather. I'm going to camp out this weekend in the shop and pull the drive and hopefully the engine. I figure I need to get them out of the way for the hull work Plus, I might as well just dig into both of them to see what we have to work with (if anything). I have done a little rexearch on the MC-1 drive, but a lot of the search results are for the later Alpha's. Doesn't look like there are a lot of differences, so I'm guessing the tear down is similar. Any tips? One question, i'm assuming you need it in forward when you pull the drive off? I'm planning on doing some more digging over the weekend, but thought one of you might know off hand.

Rickmerrill

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Good luck with the drive and engine Arch. Don't know a thing about the MC-1 or the chick magnet either.

dozerII

Admiral
You got it, drive in forward, so the shift dog is pointing straight forward.

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Thanks for the info, I figured that was correct. I have a feeling getting the drive out maybe a bit of fun, lol.....my guess is that it hasn't been out in 20 years or maybe never.:D

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
I got the drive off this morning without to much trouble. Looks kind I'd nasty but shifts easily and seems to work fine. Any tips on what I need to be checking to see if this thing is use able

zool

Captain
I would just clean up all the crud and check for any cracks from freezing, and maybe change the spider in the ujoint.and replace the orings, clean the mating surfaces.

the studs look good, as does the spline.

a little paint will make it al pretty....

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Thanks for the input zool. That was kind of what I was thinking. The u - joints still seem tight......I need to get it cleaned up and give it a once over. After I got it off I was standing there thinking....."hmm mm mm should have drained the oil before I pulled it off"

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
So tonight I worked on pulling out the motor. It was surprisingly smooth......

I took the starter and bell housing off.....managed to drop the starter, has a little chunk missing off it now, oops! After that I started taking a hard look at the block....

And the manifold

Looks like I have a new 4 cylinder cast iron anchor! Hmmm now to figure out what plan "B" is!