problems with 33hp evinrude please help

66evinrude

Petty Officer 3rd Class
well here is what i have done so far cleaned carb and gas tank, checked reed valve all good, had weak spark on one cylinder so replace all ignition system points,condensors,coil,plug wires,plugs, on both cylinders,fixed weak spark, but now engine will rev out in garbage can but when i let off the throttle engine misses bad and rpms stay reved up high, i put boat in lake to try see what it would do and crap wouldnt rev out at all do maybe 2 mph/// any ideads ///

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: problems with 33hp evinrude please help

Points should be set at .018. You said you replaced the coils, did you set the air gap between the magnets and coil laminations. The air gap should be set @ .010., also make sure you set the points on the high side of the cam.

66evinrude

Petty Officer 3rd Class

i set the points at 0.20 as it say to and how do i set air gap between magnets and coil laminations?? also i have been messing with the throttle cam trying to get proper setting

lindy46

Captain

If you have good spark and the flywheel turns ok, then the coils are probably set ok. How is compression?

66evinrude

Petty Officer 3rd Class

compression is 100 psi both cylinders, i think it maybe throttle cam setting i had it apart to replace a bushing but not sure how to set it again my manual doesnt give good explaination

lindy46

Captain

When the cam follower (roller) hits the mark on the cam, the throttle plate should just start to open. When the throttle is about 3/4 open, the cam follower should leave the cam and be pushed the rest of the way open by a spring-loaded rod on the port side of the motor. When the throttle is fully advanced, the throttle plate should be wide open. Adjust the rod to make it so.

66evinrude

Petty Officer 3rd Class

thanks lindy i have tried this but still doesnt seem to work properly

kfa4303

Banned

Hi 66. I think your problem may be fuel/air/exhaust related, assuming the spark is good (can just a1/4" gap). How high was the water filled up in your test tank when the motor revved up on you? It should be about and inch or two below the exhaust port. Without enough water the motor will not get enough exhaust back pressure. However, when you take it to the lake where there is sufficient water, the motor behaves very differently. Also make sure everything is snugged down on the carb. You may have an air leak some where. I would also check the packing in the Hi/Lo needles they have to be installed in a particular order or they won't seal properly. If the motor revs without you twisting the throttle, or after you've backed off of it, then you have a fuel/air mix problem, rather than an electrical/ignition problem. Try doing a search here in the forums under "Runaway Carb" that may help some too. Keep us posted. Good luck.

66evinrude

Petty Officer 3rd Class

thanks kfa ill check it out