problems starting

tjizzle

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hello everyone, I am having problems starting my volvo aq231b. Have not started motor for about a month and a half. Got it to start then shut it off for a little while, went to start again and it cranks slow than just clicks. Went to check battery and posotive cable was hot. Any ideas what could be causing this. Thank you for any help
TJ

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Re: problems starting

Sounds like the connections are dirty. Or the battery is low. Or the starter is dragging??
Since the positve was hot,maybe the ground is loose???

tjizzle

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the reply jerry, took both batterys out and brought back to the house both read a little over 12. Will go back to boat tomorrow and clean all connections and see what I get. What do you mean by the starter dragging??? Thank you for youre help
TJ

Bondo

Staff member

Hello everyone, I am having problems starting my volvo aq231b. Have not started motor for about a month and a half. Got it to start then shut it off for a little while, went to start again and it cranks slow than just clicks. Went to check battery and posotive cable was hot. Any ideas what could be causing this. Thank you for any help
TJ

Ayuh,.... Heat equals resistance, which equals a Dirty connection, 'n corrosion....

Clean 'em ALL to shiny metal Clean, reassemble, 'n grease 'em to keep 'em that way,...

Includin' the Grounds, 'n Both ends of the wires/ cables....

tjizzle

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thank you bondo will clean all connections tomorrow and try agian

tjizzle

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Went over to boat today and cleaned all connections and got same result. Had a buddy turn key while I tapped on starter and it starts to crank so Im asuming I need new stater. Just wanted to know if someone could confirm this is my problem before I order new starter.Thank you
TJ

Bondo

Staff member

Went over to boat today and cleaned all connections and got same result. Had a buddy turn key while I tapped on starter and it starts to crank so Im asuming I need new stater. Just wanted to know if someone could confirm this is my problem before I order new starter.Thank you
TJ

Ayuh,.... That seems reasonable,....

Ya might pull it, 'n bring it to a rebuild shop, insteada replacin' it...

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

Take it(starter) to Auto Zone or any auto parts store and get it tested.
While your at it take the batteries too(charge them first) and get them load tested.