Problem with engine mount - how to remove?

highpowerdad

Seaman
2005 fourwinns 190H, 5.0 GXI with SX drive. Can the front of the engine be raised 2-3 inches without unbolting the transom? Next service I need to fix the engine mount and if I could slide the mount out I could probably fix it, or replace it, but I don't want to pull the whole motor...the story is...So I decided to do the outdrive service myself, and found that the engine was not well aligned, the front had sagged. Simple enough, BUT, the starboard engine mount nut that raises the engine is just plain stuck, I managed to get about a turn out of it, the other side is fine. I am guessing it is all corroded or something, felt like it was almost stripping - I had to use a backer wrench on the bottom of the mount - the nut holding it to the isolator, I doubt I could strip a 5/8 bolt though - the top nut was pretty stuck too but it came loose with penetrating oil...and the mounts also seem "soft" to me. Regardless, it is much better aligned now, can turn the alignment tool with two fingers with only SOME resistance, before I had to fully grip it...it was very hard to turn.

alldodge

Staff member
Do not raise the motor at ALL without removing the drive

It may be ok to raise the motor that high without loosening the rear mounts, its not a bad idea to do so just because. Will not hurt, but may help

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
No

Unbolt the bracket from the motor

Re-align the motor when your done

BRICH1260

Lieutenant
Agree with others. Remove the drive first and then remove rear engine mount nuts to allow it to move upwards. Make your fixes on the front mounts then lower back down and re-align.