Preventing Barnacles

jcaldeira

Recruit
How long must a boat be kept out of the water to kill any microscopic barnacles that might be forming? My 19' aluminium boat is kept in a tropical salt water tidal zone. I take the boat out of the water every 1-2 months for 1-2 weeks to kill barnacles. I'd like to get the boat back in the water as quickly as possible. How long does it take to kill barnacles?

Is there any spray or wash (that is not very toxic) that can speed up the process? Fresh water? Lemon juice or vinegar?

Thanks,
John (Rakiraki, Fiji)
Boat_at_Nananu-I-Ra_Island_Sm.JPG

tpenfield

Staff member
Re: Preventing Barnacles

How about considering anti-fouling paint as an alternative.

The issue with having them grow on the boat is more one of getting them off the hull. They may live only a short while after being out of the water, but they hold a grip for months. When I take my boat out of the water for the season, I usually let the (few) barnacles sit over the cold winter months (5-6 months). then they will pop right off. Otherwise you'll need harsh chemicals and a lot of work to get them off.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

HI....Welcome to iboats.

Yep....Bottom paint is a must for you.

As far as harsh chemicals....that is a tinny....so Harsh chemicals are out for you !

jcaldeira

Recruit

My preferred strategy is to prevent the barnacles from growing beyond pinhead size by taking the boat out of the water every month or so. It's not a big boat, and I have a land-based winch on my farm, but it's a chore to crank. I once let the barnacles get too big, and learned my lesson.

I've heard that even the one day Panama canal trip is enough to kill the marine barnacles on big ships, so am hoping there is a 2 or 3 day solution for me by taking my boat out of the water and applying something common, such as fresh water. Would like to learn from others' experience with this.

Thanks,
John

tpenfield

Staff member

You should talk to the barnacles about the strategy of monthly cleaning. Pinhead size would be about a week or so.

A sailing buddy of mine day launches his sailboat for races, etc. with a fleet of other boats. He tells me that after a day on the water they can feel the barnacle larvae attached to the hulls when they pull the boats.

My advice would be to check the boat after a week or so and see how things are going. It is only advice, based on my experience.

jcaldeira

Recruit

Thanks for the suggestions. There are hundreds of species of barnacles, and I sure wish I knew how long mine can live out of water. My boat is in the water approximately 4 hours in each tide cycle, and resting on sand for 2. I know I can leave it like that for 4 weeks without seeing anything (I haven't felt the hull, but I will per tpenfield's idea), but after 4 weeks they are big enough to start seeing.

Before I resort to an anti-fouling paint, I'm going to try continue pulling the boat from the water monthly, rinse with fresh water, but reduce the amount of time it's out of the water from the 1-2 weeks I've been doing to 5-6 days, and then maybe 3-4 days and see if that's enough to prevent visible barnacles.

Thanks,
John

jimh1626

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ask a marine patrol or wildlife officer if you have that there. Maybe an extension service or a college with a marine program?

Jim

U-Wyshhh

Recruit

I have an 2000 Suntracker (an oldie but goodie) that I dearly love. But, last winter I brought her home from the river the second week of Nov and boy was it cold up here in the NE USA. So, I didn't go out there scraping or power-washing my pontoons. In the spring I expected to have a heck of a job on my hands, but to my surprise, everything just wiped right off! This year, the barnacles are worse looking but I'm going to do the same thing and take my chances. Also, I'd like to note that, after hitting some spots with ALUMINUM WOOL, I used a product called "Kleen Brite", their Blue color solution which is a low acid product. Mixed it 1/2 Kleen Brite and 1/2 water in a pressure sprayer; doing 2-3 foot sections at a time; spray it on, let it sit for 30 seconds, brush then rinse; your pontoons will look brand new. I bought this product from a tractor trailer supply shop. They use it on their Kenwood, Peterbilt, etc wheels and swear by it. Remember, it IS an ACID so beware, cover up & protect your eyes & skin. This photo was taken using this solution two years ago... thought I'd share my good fortune with others: Misc Pics 004.jpg
Well, have a wonderful Holiday Season and Be Safe! If anyone has any comments, I'd be glad to hear them. Thanks!
PS. My boat is now called "U-Wyshhh" cute huh!

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

Around here we have a Zebra Mussel problem. On certain lakes, your boat must be impounded on dry land for 2 weeks (I think--I may be incorrect) to kill any larvae before you are allowed to launch. If you break the seal or use the boat elswhere the waiting period begins again. Big pain in the butt, but apparently necessary. I suspect that the 2 week period is overkill by regulatory agencies opting to be safe.
Your barnacle problem may need to same time frame.

Have you tried chlorine? Tough on the hands but it will kill anything organic as long as it is not too large.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

A copy and paste from the forum rules located at http://forums.iboats.com/forum-rules-guidelines/forum-rules-397820.html

12. Please do not post to threads that have been inactive for more than 3 months UN-LESS you are the original poster. We have very active forums and any thread that remains inactive for that long should be considered "dead". It is especially confusing when there is an entirely new question posted to an old thread. This is considered a hijack. Please start a new thread of your own.