prestolite electronic conversion and origional omc points type tach conflict

barnstormerj

Seaman Apprentice
Thread starter
Joined
Jun 13, 2011
Messages
33
Just changed my omc distributor from points to the prestolite conversion . Now have trouble with the tach signal being for points, it bounces around a lot at low rpm. I am sure someone has had this issue. i purchased a 8910 b tach adapter product, that i was told would work, but the problem is , it references the msd igition module, and nothing else. I have found spotty information in using a resistor in the tach wire, but do not know. Hey the boat runs great, never so good~Hope someone that know of a tach solution will post , thanks Jack
 

inthedirtagain

Petty Officer 1st Class
Joined
Aug 10, 2011
Messages
321
I think that this is common in a points-to-magneto conversion. I say this because I've converted two different classic mustangs running the original 289 V8 with points and non-factory tach. Each time, I had a slight tach bounce when at idle. All I can say is to make sure you contacts on the coil are clean.
 
Top