pressurized gas tank

Kybuck

Cadet
i have a 1956 evinrude fastwin. it has a 3 prong connector for the fuel tank one says air one says fuel and the other looks like a locking prong does this mean i will have to use a pressurized tank? there was no tank with the motor and i dont have the connector that fits the one on the motor.

12Footer

Fleet Admiral
Re: pressurized gas tank

I think you'll be fine with a modern tank.<br />I know the fitting you are talking about.<br />They were pretty good. But I would sujest you switch your fittings to the "Mercury" type. They seem to be the easiest to handle at sea,and also seem to allow for more flow.

corm

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Hi Kybuck,<br />Yes you need a pressure tank. You can't get them new anymore. Check some local dealers.<br />Up here I get $70/tank and $25 A gas connector. Its hard to find these days. Look at some garage sales also.<br />You can convert it to a fuel pump system and use a regular fuel tank if you want to with some brass fittings,hose,fuel pump. You would also need an intake port gasket. It is a little tricky as you have to tap a 1/8"pipe thread in to the intake port and the metal is thin.<br />Good luck.<br />...have fun...corm

markncarole

Recruit

Hello,<br /><br />I have an old pressure tank for a Johnson that was leaking so I ordered the new parts and now seem to have more leaking out the pump button than before. I am convinced I have something installed incorrectly. Does anyone have a diagram of how the top of a pressure tank should be reassembled?<br /><br />Mark

Squeakit

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hi. The Clymer Evinrude/Johnson manual for 1956-1972 has an excellent full page diagram of the pressure tank assembly on page 194. If you don't want to buy the manual, maybe you could borrow one. I'd be glad to post this for you, but my WEBTV unit does not have this capability. I have an old 'rude 5.5hp with a pressure tank that works great. Good Luck!

rolmops

Vice Admiral

hello.<br />The big reason why rebuild pressure tank connectors leak,is the size of the o-ring which is very peculiar.Leaking at the pumping button is a sure sign that the rubber membrane has a hole in it,because there should not be any fuel on that side of the membrane <br />Make sure you buy omc o-rings and usually your troubles evaporate.