president tonight- thoughts?

PW2

Commander
Re: president tonight- thoughts?

Yep, weak, and the same as always. He keeps citing 9/11 as justification for this war, and yet I've heard no evidence whatsoever to support that contention.<br /><br />However, to avoid sounding solely negative (and it's hard not to) let me say again, we are in it, and now we have to win it.<br /><br />I support the Powell doctrine, which says you go into these things with both overwhelming force, and a clear exit strategy. Unfortunately, we did neither.<br /><br />We need to get the troops enough to seal the borders (if in fact foreign fighters are getting in) which we should have done from the start, and do sweeps of the neighborhoods--not one at a time--but all at the same time--and put enough troops in to carry it off. And we need to secure the country to get power and services up and running, at whatever it costs. We have long figured out, even if the administration has not, that the oil is not going to pay for it all,<br />And wishing something is so don't make it so.<br /><br />And we need to get after training the Iraqi troops using NATO (or whomever) forces to get them trained, on foreign soil if necessary, so that at some point they can handle the task.<br /><br />And that at some point in time they can write a constitution, and have an election...<br /><br />And whatever the election results, we have to accept them and get out.<br /><br />Democracy is a wonderful form of government, except those times when the wrong candidates win.

snapperbait

Vice Admiral

Did'nt watch.. Too busy keeping the US economy going...

RubberFrog

Rear Admiral

I kept waiting for the President to say "it's hard work!" I think he almost slipped and said it a time or two.

Link

Rear Admiral

Credit were credit is do.<br />PW2 knowing your feelings about this, I like the way you made this reply.<br /><br />Weak or better yet a missed opportunity I think.<br /><br />I would of liked him to speak of the X number of schools that are open or built now.<br /><br />The fact that in a lot of areas, policing efforts our troops are along for backup and support and the Iraqi Police and Military are policing their own cities as only they can do.<br /><br />That they have a better power and water than ever before, and getting better.<br /><br />He should have brought up that we are so miss informed here in the daily news.<br />IE: Another service man dies in car bomb! The fact that the reporter knew the soldier wasnt fighting or on patrol but was heading over to dedicate the opening of another hospital or housing area is never mentioned.<br /><br />I'm just repeating a talk show host who just got back from serving for a year in the Military there last month. And I agree with him on this one.<br /><br />He may of had reasons for not doing this.. but thats what I was looking for.. :(

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

PW2, How can we seal their borders when we can't even take care of our own here stateside? <br /><br />I have got to learn not to click on these kind of posts. It is always the same ole, same ole from the same ole people.

TwoBallScrewBall

Lieutenant Commander

<br />PW2, How can we seal their borders when we can't even take care of our own here stateside? <br /><br />I have got to learn not to click on these kind of posts. It is always the same ole, same ole from the same ole people.<br />
Amen and Amen.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I was waiting to see what PW2 and Mrbscott had to say about it. <br /><br />I figured that if he makes them mad he done good. :)

oddjob

Commander

Why hes a lying, war mongerin, pocket lining, rag-head hatin SOB!<br /><br /><br />NOT!!!!!!!!<br /><br />He77, I didnt even watch it. I bet he was awesome.......MAn, can that guy hold an audience.

tony779

Cadet

PW2,<br />I didnt watch the speech but your obviously a kool-aid drinker and watch way too much CNN. Your rhetoric shows that.<br /><br />Here are just a couple of responses from a service member who has been there. <br /><br />We went in with overwhelming force. It only took what, a month, until Baghdad was captured?<br /><br />The mistake that was made was disbanding the Iraq army. I agree that the infrastructure should have been better watched but not by sending every soldier we have. We should have put the remaining Iraqi soldiers on guard duty.<br /><br />The foriegn fighters are going to get in no matter how many troops we put on the border. If we go through all the neighborhoods at the same time the bad guys will just hide their weapons and act like normal citizens until we leave the area.<br /><br />Why in the world would you bring in NATO troops to train the Iraqis? We are training large numbers of them right now (and many are already walking a beat) and we are the best in the world. Do you want France in there handing out white flags with their uniforms?<br /><br />They have already held one election and are at this time writing their own constitution. How long did we remain in Germany after WWII? When you are helping to rebuild a country that has been ravaged by a madman, it takes a little time. I would love for the President to pull us out now so I dont have to go back over. But if we dont finish this now, my children will have to go back later and do it again.<br /><br />I defend your right to say what you want but you should attempt to educate yourself before you speak. The mainstream media is not going to educate you. Try doing one of those penpal things with a service member who is over there and ask them what is really happening. There are problems and it is not all peachy but stop spouting the left wing rhetoric and get smart.

oddjob

Commander

Welcome Aboard Mercmakinmemad!.... :) <br /><br />Great idea for PW....problem is ....they (libs) already believe that their educated..... :rolleyes: <br /><br /><br />Thanks for your service :cool:

oddjob

Commander

I just went and read PW's post.....I usually skip him....But after Mercmakinmemad jap slapped him with some info. from the source I had to relent, and go back and read it anyway.<br /><br />
We need to get the troops enough to seal the borders (if in fact foreign fighters are getting in) which we should have done from the start, and do sweeps of the neighborhoods--not one at a time--but all at the same time--
Blah!bla.. Blah..bl..a Blah!bla! Blah!bla! <br /><br />PW I think you should get back making saw dust and leave fighting and planning to real men. I mean, just stay out of the way,ok?........General PW reporting for CNN duty SIR! :D

mrbscott19

Chief Petty Officer

I didn't watch it and still haven't read the transcript. They are words and nothing more. Words will not help us over there. He only cares about the fact that approval for the war is below 50%.

oddjob

Commander

Republicans like to hunt because nothing fires back!<br />
I'll take your challenge anytime. :) ....doupt it would be much of a challenge though....I got a loaner for you if you need it.....just in case you turned it in when Al gore told you to..LOL :D

Stratosfied

Ensign

I don't get it, first we need to get out, then we need to get enough to seal the border??? Sounds like Kerryish to me.

tommays

Admiral

he had to go on the air because it has turned so badly there <br /><br />my friend just returned he is one of the 58 year olds there sending into combat <br /><br />he went over to admin Abu Ghraib and ended up in hand to hand combat when the Insergents breached the prison wall around march and it came down to pistols to keep alive<br /><br />he came home with a bronze star and alive and well thank god<br /><br />tommays

Vlad D Impeller

Commander

In the year 2050 we will still be in Iraq, because it is in our national interest to be there.<br />Folks need to get over it, stop squealing ya bunch of wimps.<br /><br />We are still in Japan, Germany, Italy, UK, South Korea and a host of newly independent nations that now shelters under the Nato umbrella.<br /><br />In my opinion, we should have never left the Philipines, but that is for another thread.<br /><br />One of the crucial errors made was to pull out of Saudi Arabia prior to the capture or elimination of Ben Laden, knowing fully that it was one of his demands.<br /><br />In doing so we capitulated and emboldened the terrorists, such actions in that part of the world speaks volumes about our resolve in staying the course.<br /><br />I listened to the President last night, i was not impressed, he bored me almost to death.<br /><br />Jordan and Egypt get Billions of our tax dollars in the form of foreign aid, pressure ought to be brought upon them to provide troops to seal Iraq's borders, they either comply or the dollars be witheld and put to better uses.<br /><br />Politely Inform the syrians and the Iranians that if they don't stop the insurgents crossing into Iraq from their territories, come hell or high water we will pursue them across the borders. <br /> <br />Thats what i want to hear from the president, not the same old cliches which his administration has been spewing for the last two years.<br /><br /> This is supposed to be a war, for crying out loud. <br /> This is not the time for political niceties and arse kissing :mad:

PW2

Commander

I'm not mad, JB.<br /><br />Just frustrated by the incompetence of this administration, and the apparent number of people that buy into this junk.<br /><br />And I never said we should get out. I vehemently suggested, before this all began, that we should not go there in the first place. Sadly, not going in is no longer a viable option. So we have to do something different than what we are doing, and I simply offered a few suggestions.<br /><br />Do I think they would work? I dunno. No doubt they would be difficult.<br /><br />Heck, we have not even remotely finished the job we started in Afghanistan. Aside from the news yesterday we lost a Chinook with 17 soldiers on it, the fundamental situation in Afghanistan is as it always has been. The poppy crop continues to yield vast amounts of money for the warlords in charge, and the Taliban continues to wield significant power.<br /><br />Personally I think Iraq is likely to turn out badly, no matter what we do at this point. Does anyone really think that a Jeffersonian democracy is going to rise like a Phoenix out of the ashes of Iraq??<br /><br />I truly hope that I am wrong. I really do. And I wish we had concentrated our energies on getting the real terrorists that did indeed attack us. <br /><br />But that ship has sailed.

mrbscott19

Chief Petty Officer

Originally posted by oddjob:<br />
Republicans like to hunt because nothing fires back!<br />
I'll take your challenge anytime. :) ....doupt it would be much of a challenge though....I got a loaner for you if you need it.....just in case you turned it in when Al gore told you to..LOL :D
Stay on topic....or at least try please. I know it's hard when you're playing with your guns and fantasizing about how much bigger you wish they were, but please try. Wouldn't want you to shoot your eye out. :p

tony779

Cadet

tommays,<br />I was over there when that attack at Abu G occurred. I wasn’t at Abu G but I was following it as it happened. Tell your friend I said way to kick a$$.<br /><br />PW2,<br />As far as the administration being incompetent, why is it that he won reelection? Your arrogance is appalling. I guess us unedumacteds need you and Hillary and John Kerry to show us the way. <br /><br />I served just the same under Clinton, followed orders and didn’t call him incompetent. Why is it that I am called narrow minded. Clinton won the election and I served on. Get over it, Bush won. Bashing the President only deepens the divide. Try constructive criticism instead of name calling. Do your part at making the country better and learn to accept other peoples views and we will all be a lot better off.