President should freeze gasoline prices

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: President should freeze gasoline prices

Those 52 week quotes seem nice.<br /><br />Look at the 5 year performance.<br /><br />You confuse recovery with growth.<br /><br />You are right, TXS. It is futile to try to understand your theory that all corporate officers are crooks. My view is the opposite.<br /><br />But you are wrong, I am not wrong, wrong, wrong; I am right, right, right. I have spent time in Corporate America and served time in boardrooms. I am also an investor who pays attention to what happens compared to the forecasts and pronouncements of effete "experts" like yourself.

BrettNC

Petty Officer 1st Class

As posted by txswinner:<br /><br />"Profits are not related to the stock market. Profits are related only to dividends and they are paid only if the management team does not steal them (oops award them) in bonuses etc." <br /><br />This guy is screwed up.

BrettNC

Petty Officer 1st Class

There is a growing demand for energy, especially for gasoline. Thus the value and profits of energy companies grows. The demand for energy will increase even more in the next 25 years. This isn't an evil thing. This is how our economy works.<br /><br />Exxon Mobil was around $20.00/share in 2001. Now it is almost $60.00/share.<br /><br />This is why we're staying heavily invested in energy companies.

POINTER94

Vice Admiral

Brett,<br /><br />You sound like a rich evil capitalist. We got an answer for your type,,, comrad.......

BrettNC

Petty Officer 1st Class

What's that Pointer? Bring it on.

CJY

Lieutenant Junior Grade

So many experts, and yet so many problems. Hmmm.<br /><br />Txs, good luck. I have been down similar paths with some of these guys.<br /><br /><br />DJ, you really did not get the point of the capital growth? Or are you only acting ignorant because it makes an excellent point? If you really don't get the point, why do you post as though you are an expert? Opinions and facts are parts of different worlds. You make so many unsupported claims it is rediculous. If you would like me to quote some of them, you need only ask. I have more besides the following:<br /><br />
When will y'all learn that the Pres. has ABSOLUTLEY NOTHING to do with long term economic issues??????
Are you serious? You think presidential decisions do not influence american spending. They are absolutely related. Is it coincidental that after every war, economy is strengthened, no matter what it was prior to the war? Who sends us to war? Could that be the Pres???? Long term, short term - what? Social Security, and the president has no influence there? I think he would argue with you on that. And I do believe that would be long-term. Our "rebates" a few years ago. Was that not to stimulate economy? Was that somebody else's idea besides the Presidents? I bet if the economy were booming, you would give W the credit. Have I not read posts by you where you have stated that Clinton "left a mess?" Were you referring to the economy? Don't blame one President for something you claim he has no responsibility to. If you make unsupported claims, be prepared to be called on them.<br /><br />JB,<br /><br />I would agree that not all corporate officers are crooks. However, they will also make a buck at nearly any cost, regardless of how it is done. Profits go up, well, so does their bonus and my problem is that it is always at our expense.

PW2

Commander

I'm curious, JB? XOM has gone from $33 a share three years ago to about $60 / share today, along with paying about a buck a share dividend all that time. If you consider that "zero" growth, I'd like to know what you bought when you sold out. I'd like to buy some.<br /><br />Look, I am all for the oil companies making a profit, and I all for competitive pricing and industry. I do draw the line at the corporate welfare that this current energy bill represents, and I do think that corporations, under the understandable pressure from their shareholders for short term returns, are not the ones we should trust in for our long term energy future.<br /><br />But hey gas is worth what it is worth, and they have a right to charge what the market will bear.<br /><br />I trade plywood for a living, and I had no problem raising the price 20 % in the last couple days. No one guarantees a profit in the bad market periods, and no one should be surprised if we take advantage of supply/demand imbalances.

POINTER94

Vice Admiral

Brett,<br /><br />Doing something proactive like investing in those evil oil companies and using the worldwide oil markets to secure your future just isn't part of the communist plan. You will have to be exposed. ;) <br /><br />Hungry for more, I will beat you over the head with your reasonable approach to an uncomfortable situation again. Just keep acting like a capitalist pig and you will lose your government ration of grain and be shipped to syberia. :D

BrettNC

Petty Officer 1st Class

I trust private enterprise far more than I do our government for our energy needs. We just need fewer restrictions (increase supply) from our government to help improve things.

BrettNC

Petty Officer 1st Class

You got me Pointer. I'm evil to the core.

BrettNC

Petty Officer 1st Class

DJ is correct. The economy is cyclical and no one man or decision has any great affect on it. I don't blame or give any president a whole lot of credit for the economy one way or the other.

POINTER94

Vice Admiral

This is the al gore plan. How about $10.00 a gallon? See earth in the balance if you can hold your lunch.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Ya got me, PW2. I was looking at an entire portfolio when I quoted zero capital growth and 2.5% earnings. I sold it all and went into CMOs. I can get my capital growth out of The Hideout; 700% in 15 years. I am on the Guvment poverty list, so I must need more income. At least the CMOs will pay me 5.5% and up.<br /><br />For a troll that started out to nationalize our oil industry (dictate prices) this one has surely gone astray.

POINTER94

Vice Admiral

JB,<br /><br />Trolling is the right of every american. It is in the constitution right under separation of church and state.