President should freeze gasoline prices

txswinner

Banned
Re: President should freeze gasoline prices

PW2, Your proposal is well taken, however, again this is a monopolistic industry that enjoys strong support in the government. We miss the point in calling oil a finite product. The problem is energy. You can not give government money $880,000,000 to the monopolies who only gain by no new sources.<br /><br />Although not directly on point, this issue was addressed in an article written many years ago named "Marketing Miopia." Basically see what the real product or need is and do not be short sighted. Large corporation's management teams have become very "Miopic" or shortsighted.

txswinner

Banned

Lubedude, I am not surprized at your insult but that is ok. You say you are living on income less than the poverty level, tell me how can you afford fuel to run that boat when it cost per gallon will soon be over $4.50 gal. Don't for get lures use petoleum products to paint. If you paint that house paint cost more. Oh what about a new roof, yep petroleum products. I am not buying your poverty level income. In fact if you own a boat and house and vehicle your assets take you out of poverty level. And is that income, reported income to IRS or what you really bring in. Best regards my maybe not really a conservative good guy.

Elmer Fudge

Lieutenant Commander

""President should freeze gasoline prices"<br /><br />Are you nuts? Who the hell does the president thinks he is?....Fidel Castro?.. for crying out loud man, this is America the president does not control a free market economy anymore than i'm the man in the moon.

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

If China is using more which makes a bigger demand, why in the hell is their gas a buck and half a gallon? If they are using it, demanding it, then they should pay what the rest of us are paying. Geeeesh.<br /><br />I agree freezing the price is not the answer. Why not make a temporary ruling that all 16 & 17 year olds not drive. Take the bus like the other kids. This alone would help nationwide! It would save lives as well......SS

txswinner

Banned

Prices were frozen once before by Presidential order, also frozen in WWII, yeah studied history also, there was also regulated use at that time as well. Not needed because there is plenty of gasoline.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I wonder where you are getting all these "facts" you are quoting, TXSW. You are conspiracy crazy.<br /><br />I just sold all of my Exxon-Mobil, Texaco and BP-Amoco stock because the earnings just plain stunk and the capital growth was zero for years. I didn't own any Shell, but it is no better. All have dropped since I sold. If there was any windfall profit there they would be shooting way up.<br /><br />There is no monopoly in oil or gasoline. Those guys are in competition with each other. If any one of them could sell cheaper they would.<br /><br />In WWII gasoline was rationed. Price control (not freeze) prevented a black market. Everyone carpooled everywhere, even to the post office and grocery store. Everyone else walked or rode a bike.<br /><br />Too many of us take gasoline for granted. We could each reduce our driving and change our driving habits and cut demand by a significant amount.<br /><br />It is not up to the President to cut your gas bill. It is up to you.

LubeDude

Admiral

Originally posted by txswinner:<br /> Lubedude, I am not surprized at your insult but that is ok. You say you are living on income less than the poverty level, tell me how can you afford fuel to run that boat when it cost per gallon will soon be over $4.50 gal
First off, What insult?<br /><br />Second, if you dont have any bills besides basic living expenses, you have plenty of money, besides, when you are "Poor", you dont pay taxes. :eek: <br /><br />If I bring home say $2,000.00 a month, (Usually less than that), Pay no morgage, car payments, or credit card bills, You just have food, $200.00 gas, $300.00 phone, $30.00, electric, about $25.00, thats only about $550.00. That leaves me almost $1,500.00 for whatever I want to do with it, You telling me I cant buy fishing lures and oil for that amount of money??? :confused: I bet I live better than you do. :p

txswinner

Banned

JB, Guess you missed out on the upper level Finance class. Profits are not related to the stock market. Profits are related only to dividends and they are paid only if the management team does not steal them (oops award them) in bonuses etc. <br /><br />The price of stock is driven simply by the desire of others to buy. Now since the crash of '29 some safety stops have been installed but for the most part it operates much like a race track parimutual board. More buyers it goes up less buyers it goes down. Price of products or profit of company not connected. From "Swing Blade" git it.<br /><br />Futures work in a similar manner. If you remember the brothers in the 70's from Dallas tried to corner the silver market and the prices skyrocketed. It was all based on a false supply and demand. Sound possible that this could be the case now. Worlds richest corporation owns oil futures? Gitit.<br /><br />You are right about rationing but all automobile items petro, tires, oil, etc prices were frozen, no profiteering during WWII.<br /><br />Remember Enron!!!<br /><br />Done ranting, I give up.

snapperbait

Vice Admiral

I have a crazy idea..... :eek: <br /><br />How about eliminating taxes on gas?... At least for a short term until the price stabilizes.... That right there would save anywhere from $0.20 to $0.40 cents a gallon, depending on the lo-cal....<br /><br />Congress could do it... if they cared..

D

DJ

President should freeze gasoline prices
Ala: Jimmy Carter?.<br /><br />No thanks. I'll take $3.00+/gallon over 21%+ interest rates.<br /><br />When will y'all learn that the Pres. has ABSOLUTLEY NOTHING to do with long term economic issues??????<br /><br />When??????? <br /><br />Congress spends, appropriates, issues OUR dollars. Get a a clue.

BoatBuoy

Rear Admiral

Exxon-Mobile capital growth went from 45 to 64 over the last 52 weeks, 43% - not too shabby.<br /><br />Chevron went from 48 to 63, 31%.<br /><br />BP went from 53 to 71, 34%.<br /><br />All in all, fairly good returns compared to passbook savings, US bonds, most 401K's, or about anything else since Microsoft of the 1990's.<br /><br />These "facts" are from Yahoo!/Finance.

oddjob

Commander

Originally posted by snapperbait:<br /> I have a crazy idea..... :eek: <br /><br />How about eliminating taxes on gas?... At least for a short term until the price stabilizes.... That right there would save anywhere from $0.20 to $0.40 cents a gallon, depending on the lo-cal....<br /><br />Congress could do it... if they cared.. <br />
They could but the dem will just fillibuster it like everything else. Remember...whats good for America is bad for the dems....I think TXW mentioned thaT ALgor wanted gas to be 3 dollars a gallon back in the 90's....

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Well, I give up, too.<br /><br />Those "rich corporate CEOs" do not own those companies. The people who own them are little people like me, who expect dividends commensurate with profits which must be reported accurately, by law. When the profits and dividends are good we buy and the price goes up. We also elect the board that tells the CEO what to do. You must have studied "corporate greed bogeyman" econ under John Kerry or Hilary. Profits drive dividends which drive stock prices.<br /><br />As for WWII, you must have forgotten I was there then. My Dad's car spent the duration on blocks. He pooled his gas ration with five other guys to get gas to drive together in one car to work in a defense plant (Grumman Aircraft). The price "freeze" was irrelevant. It was the ration that mattered.<br /><br />Back then people didn't blame somebody else for everything and whine for the government to bail them out. They became resourceful and adapted.<br /><br />Sometimes I think Americans have lost that ability.

D

DJ

Another lesson.<br /><br />Wall Street is COMPLETELY emotion driven. The ups are followed by harder downs.<br /><br />For anyone invested, you know that. <br /><br />For those, not invested: "looking in", you have no idea, thus, no comment.<br /><br />Put your money where your mouth (keyboard) is.

txswinner

Banned

JB, Maybe it is best you do not try to understand. Yes the company is owned by stockholders. Now tell me who sets the dividends.<br /><br />Tell me why anyone would buy a 64.00 stock that had a $.75 dividend. You are wrong wrong wrong and obviously have not a clue about corporate American.<br /><br />You do a nice job as a moderator but your economic arguements are without basis.<br /><br />DJ, I do not buy lotto tickets or bet on the horses either.

D

DJ

Tell me why anyone would buy a 64.00 stock that had a $.75 dividend. You are wrong wrong wrong and obviously have not a clue about cooperate American.<br />
Just another CLUE, for the clueless. ;)

txswinner

Banned

Notice how you guys avoid addressing the comments of boatbouy or any other remark bearing any factual credence. Only thing dumber than you is me for trying to have a intelligent discussion with you.

Twidget

Commander

TX, wanna buy my Exxon/Mobile stock? It isnt exactly going through the roof. You want a stock tip for something that blows Exxon/Mobil out of the water? Try TXU.

txswinner

Banned

Nope but can you tell me why with 25% in capital profit for the last 1/4 they are not going up. See how the management team is doing. Thanks for the offer.

D

DJ

TXS,<br /><br />
Exxon-Mobile capital growth went from 45 to 64 over the last 52 weeks, 43% - not too shabby.<br /><br />Chevron went from 48 to 63, 31%.<br /><br />BP went from 53 to 71, 34%.<br /><br />All in all, fairly good returns compared to passbook savings, US bonds, most 401K's, or about anything else since Microsoft of the 1990's.<br />
And your point IS??<br /><br />So what? They have a product that everyone wants. Kind of like Microsoft. The Clintons tried to destroy them, but failed-Thank God. Get over it. Elect a Pres. (your meaning-DICTATOR) (who you think controls the economy) and be prepared for a REAL history lesson.<br /><br />As said, the politics of envy are VERY dangerous.