President Bush, Great Job - Nancy Peloci, oh brother.

theriver

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: President Bush, Great Job - Nancy Peloci, oh brother.

if anyone needs to make a purchase, or needs to be re-sized, you might get some ideas here: ;) <br /><br /> web page ;)

TilliamWe

Banned

Originally posted by PW2:<br /> There are numerous things I did not understand about the speech.<br />1st- What is our policy in Iran? We want them to give up their nuclear program, but are we to join with the Europeans in talking with them, or are we planning to do this by ourselves by force.<br />And are we saying that we will help the citizens mount a coup with military force? And how is that policy going to convince them to give up their nuclear program?<br /><br />2nd SS -- I simply don't understand how personal accounts do anything at all to make the system solvent, other than to cut benefits, and create a zillion private accounts that some broker has to handle, for a fee, of course.<br /><br />there are a whole bunch of other things as well, but those two are enough for now.<br /><br />I do agree that Pelosi and Reed gave a pretty lame response--but that does not mean Bush is on track
PW2, I was a little unclear on the whole Iran thing too. I think he means that we are going to try to talk them out of nukes. As far as help stage a coup, he might mean that. At the very least I got the impression that he meant, "Hey Iranians, if you overthrow your government on your own & start a democracy... We Got Your Back" I don't think he meant we'd go in & do it for them, a la Iraq.<br /><br />Personal private accounts let you have direct control over some of the money that you are already contributing (that goes to other people, by the way, not to you). They would also gte a better return that the government gets on it's "investments"<br /><br />My question is this, why would I (32 years old) want a personal account through Social Security, when I have a 401k already? Cause the money is not "guaranteed" in a private account, just like my 401k is not. I'll have to do some reading on this.<br /><br />But the simple math is this, if your income is taxed at 12% (you pay 6% your employer pays 6%) up to $90,000 a year, that's only $10,800 a year you put in. Well, if everybody paid there own, and that's where we are heading, that would mean our Social Security benefit would be $900/mo.<br />At that point, I am thinking, geee, thanks but no thanks, I'll keep my money & invest it myself & get more than $900.month when I retire. Does that make sense to you all?

TilliamWe

Banned

Originally posted by theriver:<br /> if anyone needs to make a purchase, or needs to be re-sized, you might get some ideas here: ;) <br /><br /> web page ;)
That was mildly amusing, thanks! And my favorite brand too! Were you going through my underwear drawer again?

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

Originally posted by theriver:<br /> if anyone needs to make a purchase, or needs to be re-sized, you might get some ideas here: ;) <br /><br /> web page ;)
Actually, I do not wear any form of retention. The twins must be free, or I can't get comfortable. I'm a strange guy, I know...But that's the way it is.

LadyFish

Admiral

Not really my style either. :D

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

tilliamwe, good job of describing SS in a nutshell. <br /><br />Social security is the crown jewel in the Democratic party's list of accomplishments, so it won't go down without a fight. Reforms have been proposed - remember Clinton's idea of allowing a portion of the SS trust fund to be invested in equity stocks?<br /><br />IMHO, the "personal accounts" plan is really a much better scenario for the modern world but the transition is going to be tricky as all get-out. Creating personal accounts means paying less into SS, but SS needs all that payroll tax money to pay benefits to those who will retire between now and the time their personal account accumulate's enough to make up the difference. That money will have to be financed somehow - bigger deficits probably.<br /><br />And, the personal accounts will still have to be regulated; otherwise us responsible taxpaying Americans will be saddled with a big population of senior citizens who blew their wad investing in some dotcom or another.

TilliamWe

Banned

jtexas, thanks for the compliment.<br />I have the same concerns about the transition also. But on the other hand, large mational debt doesn't scare me. I grew up in the 80's and we survived it then!<br /><br />The only other thing I worry about is this: corrupt brokers or people making STUPID investments & getting wiped out. (jtexas, yet another thing we are alike on). I am the type of person who says "heck with 'em... they blew their "retirement" let them starve!" But I realize that I am in the minority on that feeling. So, I just KNOW that if people blow their social security, the federal gov't, under pressure from U.S. citizens, will find another way to give them money. I really hope that doesn't happen.