powerhead swap

phineas

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hi guys , i think this may be my first merc post,, i have a mark 28, a mark 28A a pr of merc 200's all with auto trannys i have a manual, it tells me i need a special tool to change impellors, i haven't got to them as i hear they are difficult, this week i got an '55 mark 25 18 hp manual shift, mostly there, first is there any where i can see a pic of this tool , and second can i swap a powerhead from one to the 18 hp

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral
Re: powerhead swap

The mark 28 powerhead will not swap into the Mark 25 - different animals...

The waterpumps aren't that difficult on the AT motors if you take the time to learn them. Being that you have several of them it might be worth your while to learn. Plus, you'll find you're in demand once you know and have the tools.

I think if you post a query on the AOMCI.org board, you may get an answer regarding the tools needed. I don't think it would be hard to improvise them if you know what they look like...

phineas

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: powerhead swap

thanks chinewalker, i will give them a go, i am pretty good at figuring things out and i never rush. I do have a manual for motors 1965 and older, some of the pics aren't so clear. I am having a lot of luck gathering old motors.