FORUM RULES UPDATED - The forum rules have been updated to continue to provide a friendly and safe environment for our member community. Please take a moment to review the updated rules and our terms of use and privacy policy. Click here for Forum Rules which has links to the 'terms of use' and 'privacy policy'.
In Other News . . .
You will notice a few enchancements to the forums to make your experience better. These include: Email Notifications, Thread Previews, Thread Starter Notation, and Emoji Options on the 'Like' icon. . .
Additionally, the merchant portions of the website have been updated and are now operational. . . . Check out iBoats for all your boating gear.
I'm getting ready to reinstall a rebuilt powerhead on a 89' 85hp Force. do I need to purchase gaskets from Mercury Marine for this? The manufacturer had used what looked like an RTV adhesive when I pulled the powerhead. Whats the best way to go?
Yes you should use factory gaskets and also use a non hardening permatex. NAPA sells one called aviation permates. I believe it is a number 3 type permatex and comes with an aplicator brush. If you dont use gaskets you run the chance of exhaust leaks.
Thanks Eurolarva, model # is 856A9H. I was able to order the gasket locally, Item 53 on your link is the part that was ordered. They did use black RTV as Willy stated, but I feel more comfortable using a gasket if available. The exhaust tube, however, does have to be sealed with RTV