power winch 212 rebuild

willisworms

Cadet
The anchor winch on my boat had a old, weathered and broken plastic cover. I wanted to build a more durable cover and replace the old toggle switch with a momentary switch I could activate with my foot. When I removed the plastic cover I found that it was almost completely full with an old bee hive, and the original base was rusted away. Other than the rusted base and the broken cover the winch still worked quite well. I cut off what was remaining of the rusty base and made a new one out of 1/8 stainless. The cover is made from 18ga stainless and the switch is a waterproof momentary I found in the surplus section of Princess auto. The gears are all in good shape. They just need a good greasing. I think it turned out quite nice, and saved my from buying a new one.

powerwinch 212.jpeg

powerwinch 212_1.jpeg

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
Very nice metal work you have there. Great job! You must be a Stainless fabricator.

64osby

Admiral
Better than New!!! Nice .

Do you have a shear and a break or was this done with hand tools?

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Well I'm impressed for sure. Very professional work there. You should be proud of it and show it off... Bravo Bravo!

willisworms

Cadet
Thanks for the compliments! I am a millwright by trade,but do a lot of stainless pipe work. I have a brake and shear in my home shop, the shear is what the photos were taken on. I must admit, when I first removed the cover and saw the pile of rust and bee's nest that was in there I thought for sure it was a goner and started pricing out a new one. There was a bit of sticker shock that convinced me to do the rebuild. Although self tailing would have been a nice feature.