Power Trim Cylinder Seal Replacements - Procedure?

Searay87

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I noticed the oil in my power trim reservoir (1987 Sea Ray Sorrento S24, 5.7L, Alpha One) was milky. It's obviously taking on water somewhere in the system. I've pumped the reservoir out twice and soaked up as much of the milky oil as I could from the reservoir and within a week to 10 days it's fully contaminated. I realize I'm going to have to purge the system with new oil and find the source of the leak. I'm pupming out the oil to try and keep it as fresh as possible. The power trim is still working well.

I plan on pulling the boat at the end of September. From the research I've done a faulty seal on the piston rams is a likley source. This is my first summer with the boat. The outdrive was replaced (new not rebuilt) in 2009 and had 12 hours when I bought the boat.

Question:

1) Would the rams be new with the outdrive or would they re-use the originals? Is there a way to tell by serial number etc?

2) How difficult is it to replace the piston ram seals? I had a look in the sterndrive manual and it mentions something about a special quicksilver wrench #91-821709 to remove the end caps. Is this a job for the dealer? Looking for advice from those of you who have experience in flushing out your trim oil system and advice on whether or not I should tackle the seal replacement job.

Thanks!

Bob

VIPNiSS

Cadet
Re: Power Trim Cylinder Seal Replacements - Procedure?

im havingthe same issues..how did you proceed?

Searay87

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Power Trim Cylinder Seal Replacements - Procedure?

Psiton ram seals will be replaced in the spring by Marine Mechanic. Mechanic told me the oil pressure when the pistons raise the outdrive is 2200 psi. Oil leaks out around the seals. When the drive is lowered water is drawn in. He quoted me $200 for the repair. You need a speical tool to remove the end caps. Found one on ebay for $148.