Power Steering Cooler Replacement - Access

theorifice

Cadet
I have a fairly severe power steering leak when engine is running (system under pressure). I haven't looked at exact leak location yet but all signs point to the cooler or hose attachments to cooler.
Access to the cooler looks extraordinarily tight. I don't think I can replace it in the current state. Strategies I'm considering:
  • disassembling generator controlbox - have to free up some of the fuel hardlines.
  • or removing manifold + risers (is that even possible with generator in the way?)
What strategy would y'all take to service the cooler? With a borescope I could probably tighten a hose clamp or two without any disassembly. I'll check the actual source of leak before disassembling anything. Thanks

1712685942596.png

alldodge

Staff member
If possible I would remove the Gen to get at it. Most Gen's have few connections and being much lighter to deal with. If unable, then look at the exhaust manifold

Dillusion808

Seaman
Hard to see but isn't that the steering lines going up and over the block?

If not I'd take off the manifold off.

theorifice

Cadet
If possible I would remove the Gen to get at it. Most Gen's have few connections and being much lighter to deal with. If unable, then look at the exhaust manifold
I'm not sure I'd be able to hoist out the generator while on the water. I don't think I'll have the option to pull the boat out at this point.
Even removing the manifold is going to be tricky with the limited access :(

I'm going to take a closer look at the parts of the generator that could be easily disassembled.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
they pull motors on sail boats in the water all the time at docks. requires a boom truck. should be able to pull the genny

theorifice

Cadet
No the 2 black ones under it. Could just be my eye balls.
Ah yes - those. They kind of go around the block. There's a line that goes over the block that was "decommissioned" it seems. The previous owner (or even before) added a new line without taking the old one out. Actually there are LOTS of instances of this for all of the control cables in the boat.