Power Head Swap? J70PLSSD to J70TLECB

mstan55

Seaman Apprentice
Hello,

I picked up a 2000 Johnson 70 HP J70PLSSD and the steering is stiff. I believe the power head is fine. It cranks right up and has good compression. But this steering has me worried.

I found a 1998 Johnson 70 HP J70TLECB with a blown up powerhead, but everything else seems to be in good shape.

Does anyone here know if I can take the good power head from the J70PLSSD and put it in the 1998 J70TLECB?

Thanks for reading,
Marc

saltchuckmatt

Commander
Hello,

I picked up a 2000 Johnson 70 HP J70PLSSD and the steering is stiff. I believe the power head is fine. It cranks right up and has good compression. But this steering has me worried.

I found a 1998 Johnson 70 HP J70TLECB with a blown up powerhead, but everything else seems to be in good shape.

Does anyone here know if I can take the good power head from the J70PLSSD and put it in the 1998 J70TLECB?

Thanks for reading,
Marc
Isn't one a tiller and the other is not? Anyhow, might be easier to fix the steering.

Is it all salted up?

mstan55

Seaman Apprentice
Isn't one a tiller and the other is not? Anyhow, might be easier to fix the steering.

Is it all salted up?
Good catch and I’m not sure if the 1998 is tiller or not. I will ask.

Yes sir, the steering is stiff on my 2000. So far I have not been able to get any fresh grease to the upper part of the steering arm.

I have seen where guys have tried squirting degreaser up there from the nipple. Also see how some take off the head to get access. Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks!

saltchuckmatt

Commander
Good catch and I’m not sure if the 1998 is tiller or not. I will ask.

Yes sir, the steering is stiff on my 2000. So far I have not been able to get any fresh grease to the upper part of the steering arm.

I have seen where guys have tried squirting degreaser up there from the nipple. Also see how some take off the head to get access. Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks!
The T in the model number represent tiller. The make a tool that you put oil in and tap with a hammer but I haven't had any luck with them.

If it hasn't been greased, and there is metal shavings in there than it will be tough.

You will have to pull it apart.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Is it the pivot on the motor that is stiff ?----Or the steering cable.----Separate the motor from steering cable ,if you have not done that.