FORUM RULES UPDATED - The forum rules have been updated to continue to provide a friendly and safe environment for our member community. Please take a moment to review the updated rules and our terms of use and privacy policy. Click here for Forum Rules which has links to the 'terms of use' and 'privacy policy'.
Looking at buying a 18-20' boat. Most of the time we would have 4-5 passengers & would like to pull a tube. Would the 3.0 be under powered for this? I was thinking the 4.3 would be the minimum & 5.0 or 5.7 preferred.
Regardless of the engine, propping is really important. I can prop a 3.0 litre engine in a 20' to be quite 'lively', and I can prop a 5.7 in an 18' to be a dog. With a 3 litre in a 20', as Scott said, many props. That said, for tow sports, bigger is generally better. But also remember, bigger engine, generally more motion-lotion. And 4.3 in a 20' is fine. (It's what I have, and it's plenty good enough)...
my chaparral 2050 sl (20 and a bit) has a 4.3. we were out with 5 this weekend (mind u 2 were children) and it popped right up and had plenty of guts to have fun at around 3000 rpm. 2800 she just stayed up and threw a nice wake would have been good for boarding, though a little quick (could have trimmed up a bit to fix this). putting the hammer down would have been a bad time for the guy on the tube.
I learned to waterski behind a 30 some hp outboard on an inflatable with wood floor. It was a bit difficult to get out of the water but that just trains you to be a good skier. You only need about 15mph to ski. depending on weight and ski size i guess