Pour in foam recommendations - Process

Re: Pour in foam recommendations - Process

Ok- I know this is an old thread, but wanted to share my experience on my 18 ft tinny, as I earned it just a few minutes ago.

I laid my deck epoxies 3/4 marines grade plywood deck drilled 2" holes with a hole saw and poured through holes (appeared to be the way the factory did this as well. I neglected to seal small gaps between floor supports/stringers as I believed the foam would expand fast enough to clog them. The foam made its way through these gaps into the very bottom of the boat and expanded. Fortunately it did not make it to the bilge pump or drain.

Lesson two: The foam is very adhesive, which makes it damn near impossible to pull the floor back up to clear it out. I plan to go through the rod locker and bilge access to clean it out.

Recommendations: Cover your deck with wax paper before you lay it down so you can easily pull it up again and ensure the places you are foaming a well sealed off from any areas that you do not want foamed. Just thought I would share as at 6'3 and 225 I am not excited about cramming myself in there to clean it out. Another lesson learned the hard way, which seems to be my way!

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

Ok- I know this is an old thread, but wanted to share my experience on my 18 ft tinny, as I earned it just a few minutes ago.

I laid my deck epoxies 3/4 marines grade plywood deck drilled 2" holes with a hole saw and poured through holes (appeared to be the way the factory did this as well. I neglected to seal small gaps between floor supports/stringers as I believed the foam would expand fast enough to clog them. The foam made its way through these gaps into the very bottom of the boat and expanded. Fortunately it did not make it to the bilge pump or drain.

Lesson two: The foam is very adhesive, which makes it damn near impossible to pull the floor back up to clear it out. I plan to go through the rod locker and bilge access to clean it out.

Recommendations: Cover your deck with wax paper before you lay it down so you can easily pull it up again and ensure the places you are foaming a well sealed off from any areas that you do not want foamed. Just thought I would share as at 6'3 and 225 I am not excited about cramming myself in there to clean it out. Another lesson learned the hard way, which seems to be my way!

You should start your own thread about this ST... because we want to see pics!

... and there are other questions that may need to be asked and expanded on.

mxcobra

Chief Petty Officer

Here is somthing I find relavent, that has not been discused-really what made up my mind on how to do foam.
I thought about water condensating under the deck, in the tuff marine inviroment.
If you pour the foam in such a maner, to compleatly fill the void, under your deck.
One would basicly elimanate the chance for condensation, becouse their would be no room left for water?