Potential boat purchase advice? Pics...

rothfm

Ensign
Ok, While I know what Sunbird boats are ( I have one, a 17 Center Console) and their reputation etc.....Ive come accross a Neptune 202 20' walk-around that appears to be in pretty good shape, the owner is pretty particular. Motor is a 115 bubble back cross-flow. All 1993 including decent trailer.

This boat has the features I like, Closed windshield, small cuddy, walk-around, Live well and 2 fish boxes. Interior is spottless. I ran compression at 125 on all, and it ran very smooth on muffs. All solid with hammer test, no hairline cracks anywhere. I boat for fishing exclusively and this will be better than the CConsole for what I do.

QUESTION IS THIS....for an even $3k, am i nuts to get it. Yes its not a Grady, or Whaler...But I'm thinking I can certainly use the heck out of it for 3K.

Thoughts on this particular model? Ride? Manuvering?

Pics attached, Appreciate the feedback

Port-Front-View.jpgAft-Deck.jpgcuddy.jpghelm2.jpgview-from-bow.jpg

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: Potential boat purchase advice? Pics...

That's a nice looking boat and the neptune was a nice model.

That 93' motor is bullet proof and I never pass those up ;)

It sounds like a nice deal and I would go further then a "hammer test" which I never felt reliable. Look for stress cracks and push on that tilted motor. Look over the keel.

Looks like a nice deal and I am sure it handles fine. Ask for a water test.

rothfm

Ensign
Re: Potential boat purchase advice? Pics...

Thanks,

Well I did pick this up...for short money it seemed like a good deal. He bought another boat and said he did purposely priced low to move it right away. I crawled all thru and under it. Solid, no water inside at all. Stood on the motor leg, good transom. inside and out the gelcoat has NO hairline cracks at all, and still shines even without cleaning. All console switches and functions work 100%-No wiring issues. And to my surprise, he has a full custom cover, GPS, Fishfinder, Marine Stereo/speakers...and tons of accessories that he included.

I have to do some trailer work, but overall its good....Again, for $3K I had to move on it. So far I think I did the right thing.

Thanks