Posts that make me nuts

KRH1326

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Posts that make me nuts

On a post about what Harleys people have
"I don't have a Harley but I have a Moped/Scooter/Honda that is way better and faster and cheaper than a Harley"

MuhWuhhahahaha- Good One ! :D

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

What really bothers me would be a post that actually makes my eyes bleed..
Something along these lines.

HELP! Have a1987 mercruiser that ran fine then took to the lake and my friend thot something was wrong but said to hit the starter with a hammer so I did and didnt work so we got started and after running around for 2 hours it started to run rough and had a funny smell I took off distributor thing and noticed that it looked good so I jusst went back to running it for a little while till water came in through the back part but not too much so we decided that we were ok but by the time we got towards the dock it just stalled right there so we had to get towed in and the guy who towed us said to check the shift interrupt thing where is it and how do i fix it what do you think can it be this and if so is it a hard to do I have a lot of expereince working on cars and stuff so I am handy just need to know what to do and where to find this shift thing is it back by the engine or is it hidden someplace else I appreciate all the help cuz I paid over 6k for this boat and I want to have more fun on it before summer is over and my girlfriend likes the way it looks to

Ya its not a far stretch from the truth of many many posts I have read...errr TRIED to read

NYBo

Admiral

getting back to the original post:
Things that get my hackles up:
1. " Is my 18' bowrider safe for going to: Bimini/ Catalina/ across the great lakes to Canada/or wherever" Usually by a very new boater...
I was in the CG auxilairy for 20 years and taught boating safety. You can imagine how I feel about #1 above.
You're all for it, right?

Mark_VTfisherman

Lieutenant

.....Wow just wow, maybe the first answer was just trying to help and made an honest mistake, maybe just maybe your "correct" answer is not the only "right" way to skin a cat.....just thinking out loud guys. No harm intended

Got ya on the non harm intended. But here is what burned me that day>>>

There was a "what's this" by a newbie: there is nothing wrong with that. Newbie was asked for a picture- he posted it. Cool, I thought. Then a poster names it- which is good except for the fact that he called it the name of a *similar* electrical part with a very different application instead of naming the exact part shown in the pic.

And because it is an electrical part, if the asker bought and installed the part which was named, he could at best disable his boat or deaden the battery, and at worst cause a fire. So I posted the correct part name, links to the two parts from iBoats catalog, and explained the basic difference. So several days later the poster who gave the wrong part name posts again rationalizing why his answer was right....I ignored the lunkhead and didn't repost. A developing flame war won't help an asking poster at all.

THAT is what I hate. If one doesn't know enough to know the difference one shouldn't be answering. I read a lot of posts and learn stuff, but I don't answer stuff I don't know about or haven't done in some application or another. And there is always many who know more than me or who sometimes explain better/further what I have posted. That benefits everyone.

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral

You're all for it, right?

Here's why not:
Dec 20, 2009
MIAMI - The Coast Guard has ended its search for two boaters missing for the past week.
Two Miami men, Richard Alicea and Edwin Pritchard, were traveling in a 17-foot boat headed to the Bahamas.
They never arrived at their destination.
The Coast Guard?s search covered more than 47,000 square miles.

Mark_VTfisherman

Lieutenant

Here's why not:
Dec 20, 2009
MIAMI - The Coast Guard has ended its search for two boaters missing for the past week.
Two Miami men, Richard Alicea and Edwin Pritchard, were traveling in a 17-foot boat headed to the Bahamas.
They never arrived at their destination.
The Coast Guard?s search covered more than 47,000 square miles.

People do stupid things. I love adventure and this trip to Bimini appeals to me quite a bit, but I would be a little more prepared than they were. They had some electronics, but no back-ups, and didn't carry a spare prop, which I thought was a given on the ocean. I don't carry one any more but I am on freshwater and small lakes here in Vermont...

50 miles of open water is something to be respected.... a relatively small open craft -26' pontoon OR 17' bowrider- feels a little risky when seas can be 6 feet or more on a moderate day. MY 2 cents....

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral

People do stupid things. I love adventure and this trip to Bimini appeals to me quite a bit, but I would be a little more prepared than they were. They had some electronics, but no back-ups, and didn't carry a spare prop, which I thought was a given on the ocean. I don't carry one any more but I am on freshwater and small lakes here in Vermont...

50 miles of open water is something to be respected.... a relatively small open craft -26' pontoon OR 17' bowrider- feels a little risky when seas can be 6 feet or more on a moderate day. MY 2 cents....

I've done the Bimini trip many times, but in a larger boat, group of boats going over, etc.

avenger79

Lieutenant Commander

There was a "what's this" by a newbie: there is nothing wrong with that. Newbie was asked for a picture- he posted it. Cool, I thought. Then a poster names it- which is good except for the fact that he called it the name of a *similar* electrical part with a very different application instead of naming the exact part shown in the pic.

And because it is an electrical part, if the asker bought and installed the part which was named, he could at best disable his boat or deaden the battery, and at worst cause a fire. So I posted the correct part name, links to the two parts from iBoats catalog, and explained the basic difference. So several days later the poster who gave the wrong part name posts again rationalizing why his answer was right....I ignored the lunkhead and didn't repost. A developing flame war won't help an asking poster at all.

THAT is what I hate. If one doesn't know enough to know the difference one shouldn't be answering. I read a lot of posts and learn stuff, but I don't answer stuff I don't know about or haven't done in some application or another. And there is always many who know more than me or who sometimes explain better/further what I have posted. That benefits everyone.

ah i see, those are different. not a "suggested use" kind of thing. hopefully you saved him from disaster.

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral

I live in the western part, over by the hills, and I have some old fishing equipment to sell. Its old, but works. I remember one time, we were on vacation, not fishing but nordic skiing, we had a wonderful time.
But none of this bothers me, well, except when a pontoon boat ties up the fuel pump.

I hear ya....it's always tough to decide which glide-wax goes with the kick-wax of the day and don't get me started on trailers that block the air compressor pump. :D

DECK SWABBER 58

Lieutenant Commander

Well........theirs a "no it all" in every group.

Many of them are well documented in the sht forum.:D

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Another pet peeve. People that respond to a post with the quote button and leave large pictures in the quote.