Posts that make me nuts

Mark_VTfisherman

Lieutenant
I love the iBoats forums. Some of the most helpful and knowledgeable boaters hang out here. I have gained so much in this community!

But three things make me nuts:

A new post comes up with an interesting title. Turns out it is a thinly-veiled spam trying to sell me fishing equipment from some website and they tagged their first post on a thread 4 years old. I don't know why that bugs me so but it does.

Another thing is when people ask a question with absolutely no "location" or indication of where they are from. This is especially annoying with fishing questions.

The third thing that bugs me is when someone asks "what is this" whatever it is, and someone gives a wrong answer. Either me or someone else then tactfully posts the correct answer so the poster/asker learns the correct <insert the correct whatever here> and then the poster who gave the incorrect or unclear answer starts explaining why his <incorrect> answer was correct.

I just felt the need to vent. That's what happens up here when the water starts getting hard!

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Posts that make me nuts

You have plenty of company, Mark. :)

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

My main beef lately has been with people digging up old posts to tack on a new question. The problem is that on many other internet forums they actually prefer that you do that to keep the topics organized. So I can't really fault them.

CatTwentyTwo

Chief Petty Officer

This has been mentioned before, but what bugs me is when someone asks a question and then disappears. People go to the trouble of posting an answer and sharing their knowledge and the OP never responds back. It would be great to know which advice was helpful in solving a problem. That's how I have learned so much from this site and have an idea of what to look for when problems arise. Failing that, at least the courtesy of a simple "thanks for your time" would be nice.

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

I agree...The no location and the no response to a technical question after several people answer it.
Some people sign up,ask the question then never come back...:rolleyes:

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Happens in every forum....unfortunately.

rbh

Fleet Admiral

those posts, people just use to pad their numbers higher, oh look:D

Bifflefan

Commander

The ones that get are:

1, "Ive looked everywhere and cant find anything on this." Then you look in the section they posted in and there are 3 posts on the same thing in 2 days.

2, The "Please Help" for a subject line.:mad: And then 10 more times in the thread. I thought that was a given, do they really need to state the obvious?

Fun Times

Staff member

Maybe Iboats could reset up their registration forum so that the new members will need to fill in their Location, And if they don't do it then they can not sign up here.;):p:)

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Couple of recent ones:

On a post about Mercruiser 470s
" I don't have a Merc 470 but my OMC Stringer has worked great for 20 years"

On a post about what Harleys people have
"I don't have a Harley but I have a Moped/Scooter/Honda that is way better and faster and cheaper than a Harley"

FishyFish

Chief Petty Officer

My two favorite that get my attention:

When you pose a question, example: "How do you screw in a lightbulb ?"
The answers that irritate starts simular: "I remember one time in Band Camp!"
Just answer the question, don't need to know your lifes experience.

Another:

On a particular thread, let say a fishing thread, question: "How do you catch Bass?" Someone will answer, "I don't fish, I don't catch fish, I'd rather waterski!" So why are you responding? Who cares about your dislikes?

Maybe it's just me...........

pecheux

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Wellll it's winter time and that means no boating & fishing for the population living in the northern part of America ... Pisses me off also ... LOL

Happy Hollidays to Y'Awl ...

rbh

Fleet Admiral

Wellll it's winter time and that means no boating & fishing for the population living in the northern part of America ... Pisses me off also ... LOL

Tres Biens, Joyeux Noel. :)

Mark_VTfisherman

Lieutenant

Maybe Iboats could reset up their registration forum so that the new members will need to fill in their Location, And if they don't do it then they can not sign up here.;):p:)

THAT would get my vote. But of course I don't have a vote.:redface:

Bifflefan

Commander

Dont forget about ice fishing?:D

nlain

Commander

We had this discussion on CSR, SeaRay forum I am on, the owner set it so you have to enter location, boat, related info, I knew this was going to happen, I had my info in my signature, well next time I logged in I had to fill in all my info in a different place, no big deal I did it, any new person has to do this or at least put something in the spaces, in other words it is not 100% that you will get the info entered, most do, no one wants your street address just the area you are in, in my case I could list Savannah Ga, would work it has the water I boat in, I live S of Sav. The thing is to get that general location to give the idea of fresh or salt water and of course the boat info with engine and drive system info.

Knightgang

Lieutenant

You can always come down and sleep on my hidebed over the winter. You can still boat here and our waters do not even come close to freezing. Heck, you can even still fish... and not have to break ice...

I started a thread about this very same issue a short while back and there were mixed responses...
Like was stated, we do not want street address, Nearest large city and state, or at a minimum state only, or at least region (North East, Midwest, Rockies, etc.) just to help with answering many questions...

642mx

Lieutenant Commander

I hate it when threads get hijacked....

..... so what's everyone doing for New years Eve? :D

WIMUSKY

Staff member

Fine...... Some guilted me into giving a location. Like it was a big surprise given my userid or whatever it's called.:rolleyes: Is this considered padding??:D