Possible Seized Engine - Need Second Opinion

nstubbert

Cadet
I recently purchased a 1985 Glastron V195 with a Mercruiser V-8 230hp motor. The boat had a broken gimble housing and was in need of repair when I bought it, but I was told that the engine was really good. The guy I bought it from had it serviced and winterized in November 2016 at a local boat shop. I called the shop before I bought the boat to make sure the engine was good and the mechanic told me that it was a nice, smooth running engine. He had it running and then winterized it. It sat outside all winter here in Maine (and it was a bad winter) with only a tarp on it. When I bought it a couple weeks ago I had to remove about a foot of snow and ice on top of the tarp and about another foot of ice that was underneath the tarp. Then I brought to a heated garage to thaw out for 3 days. After all the ice melted I then brought it to my mechanic to start putting the gimble housing back on and get it going. The boat has been sitting outside of his shop for the past week and this past weekend was the coldest weekend we have had all winter. He brought the boat in yesterday cold and before starting the work on it tried to turn the engine by putting a wrench to the harmonic balancer pulley and turning it....he said the engine wouldn't turn and that it was "junk." I then called the mechanic who winterized it and he said there is no way that engine could be seized up in such a short period of time and suggested that he pour some Marvel Mystery Oil down the spark plug holes and down the top of the carburetor and try again today. I called my mechanic back and suggested that he do that. He said he was going to do that and try again today, but if he can't get it moving today then he is done trying to work on it. I don't have a lot of confidence in my mechanic and wondering if anybody else has experienced anything like this or have an suggestions? Please help.

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,.... Yer mechanic should pull the spark plugs 1st, 'n Not be usin' the crankshaft bolt,....

The drive is still off, correct,..??
Was the boat tarped up while at the mechanic's yard,..??
Any possibility the hatch allowed water to leak in over the carb,..??

nstubbert

Cadet
The drive is off. The boat was not tarped and the engine cover was off while in the mechanics yard. The previous mechanic who winterized it put a plastic bag over the carburetor, but water certainly could have gotten in.

Bondo

Staff member
Ok, so pull the spark plugs, roll it over on the starter to clear the water, reinstall the spark plugs, 'n light it up to completely dry out the internals,....

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,... Either the starter, or pull the starter, 'n bar it over on the flywheel teeth, or a strap wrench on the crankshaft pulley,...
Turnin' it over on that bolt, leads to a stripped out crankshaft bolt hole,....

nstubbert

Cadet
Hopefully my guy knows that....Like I said in my initial post, I don't have a lot of confidence that he knows what he is doing

Bondo

Staff member
Hopefully my guy knows that....Like I said in my initial post, I don't have a lot of confidence that he knows what he is doing

Ayuh,... Can't help ya there, this is a Diy site, 'n We're usually talkin' to the person turnin' the wrenches,....

Bondo

Staff member
So go get it,...

So where abouts in Maine,..??
I grew up in Milford, just across the Penobscot from Old Town,.....
Sunkhaze Meadows is Home to me,...

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... Nice area, lotsa great lakes, 'n ponds,....

My family lodge is on Chemo Pond, town of Clifton/ Bradley,....

nstubbert

Cadet
<iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://s1042.photobucket.com/user/Nate_Stubbert/embed/slideshow/Boat"></iframe>

nstubbert

Cadet
Yes it is a very nice area. Surrounded by many lakes, that is why I want to get this boat going and restored.

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,... If ya got a picture at photobucket, Click on the picture there to bring it up in it's own tab,....
Then hi-light, 'n copy the address in yer browser,...
Here, Click on the picture button in the editor above the post write area, 'n paste the address of yer picture into it,...
Or, manually enter
 paste the picture address here, then

20170227_161456_zps9fibqxq6.jpg

Last edited:

nstubbert

Cadet
There, I think I was able to successfully load a picture of the boat engine. As you can tell there is a lot of condensation on the outside of the engine itself. This picture was taken while it was thawing out in the heated garage. Then it went from the garage to sub zero temperatures. I'm thinking that water could have gotten in somewhere and froze things up internally. At least I am hoping that is the case.

nstubbert

Cadet
That picture shows how the boat was left out in the open over the weekend. Does it look like water could have gotten in somewhere and frozen internally?