Possible Engine Swap/Annoying Questions!!!

North Beach

Commander
All of you folks here at Iboats were a huge help several years ago when I restored the Liquid Limo, so I'm back needing additional guidance. I'm looking to repower the LL and I've come across this setup-1988 3.7 Liter. Does this pic show a closed coolant system? Is this, generally speaking, a decent motor or are they known to have problems? With an 88, what outdrive would come with this motor?

I'm currently running a frankenstien setup with a newer (newer than 66) 140 hp mercruiser attached to the old outdrive that came stock on the boat in 66 with the 110 HP motor (I had to Mcguyver the exhaust to make it work). Will swapping over to this motor and outdrive work with the current hole I have in my transom?

Attachments

• photo296567.jpg
    photo296567.jpg
    120.5 KB · Views: 0

Bondo

Staff member
Is this, generally speaking, a decent motor or

Nope,.... It's known for ootles of problems,.....

Merc's redheaded bastard step-child they've been tryin' to forget, for decades,.....

The infamous 470,.....

The transom, 'n drive, Should be an Alpha 1, in 1.84:1 ratio,.....

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,..... Serious as a heart attack,....

Do a search,..... I'm sure a few weeks of readin' should pop up,....

thumpar

Admiral
Lots of oddities with them. Stator for charging. Water cooled voltage regulator. Aluminum block with iron head (from a ford 460). Waterpump driven by cam and seals leak making them mix. I am sure others can add to the list.

North Beach

Commander
Dang! I could have gotten a great deal on a boat with this motor! Guess I'll keep looking....