portable subwoofer + speaker setup?

photographer

Seaman Apprentice
Is there a great portable subwoofer + speaker setup? I would like to have something I could use in my boat and in my patio, as well. I just hate the ideao of spending 500 USD on speakers I can only use in my boat....

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Bluetooth is a means of communication between the source and the speaker. You still need to power the speakers

We run a pair of Sonos Play 5 in the house and a pair of Sonos Play 1 on the screen porch. At the pool we use an old clock radio (iHome).

None of these setups are suitable for a marine environment and all three are powered by 120 VAC

On the boat I simply installed a Bluetooth adaptor on the existing head unit and speakers and use Spotify as my source.

Content wise I use Spotify.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
both the wife and I each have a Bose Soundlink bluetooth speaker (the originals that came out 8 years ago that actually has a fair amount of bass). I use it when working on the boat or in the garage or when I work from home, and we used it on the boat prior to me re-installing the head unit in the boat.

we use one in the back yard when sitting at the fire pit, or take it with us to the beach.

we use it for backyard parties and we take them camping.

to re-charge, we just plug into the inverter.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
both the wife and I each have a Bose Soundlink bluetooth speaker (the originals that came out 8 years ago that actually has a fair amount of bass). I use it when working on the boat or in the garage or when I work from home, and we used it on the boat prior to me re-installing the head unit in the boat.

we use one in the back yard when sitting at the fire pit, or take it with us to the beach.

we use it for backyard parties and we take them camping.

to re-charge, we just plug into the inverter.

Interesting.....transistor radio goes modern

Would be neat camping and such but I'm horrible with battery powered items.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Interesting.....transistor radio goes modern

Would be neat camping and such but I'm horrible with battery powered items.

cell phone, blue tooth speaker and iTunes/iHeart Radio/etc. vs the old transistor