Poppet Problem

Rapson

Seaman
I have a 1987 Mercury 150Hp Black Max. I have just installed a new temperature gauge as the origonal has never worked since I have owned the boat. Took it for a run today and the temperature went straight up. Plenty of water from the tell tail, new impeller installed January and there are no thermostats installed either.

Checked the manual and then checked the poppet valve and found it to be well and truly buggered and full of muck.

But...my poppet valve is very different to the one in the manual and the ones I have found on the net. Mine is a simple plate attached by 2 screws and no hoses coming in or out, just water behind the valve. All others are the same as the manual below with a hose leading in. I dont know if my set up would do anything if the valve were to open.

Has any one else seen a set up like this or has my outboard been butchered?

Attachments

• Cooling.JPG
    Cooling.JPG
    22.2 KB · Views: 0

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: Poppet Problem

You might go on the crowleymarine.com site and look at the parts pictures, for your specific motor. Perhaps the manual is incorrect, or the motor's year is incorrect.

Rapson

Seaman

Thanks for that Chris. Pretty good site that one! Found an exploded view for an 88 model that showed both types of poppet valve, with and without the top hose. First time I have seen them on a 150 V6. From what I found the withouts were only up to 125hp 4cy and the V6 and V8's had the top hose versions.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

1989 and newer use the hose back to top of engine 1989 and earlier do not. Are you getting a hot horn or just showing hot on guage? Do not go by picture you posted as it is wrong and reinstall your t-stats as if you have none it will get hot....pm me your Email address and will send ya a correct diagram.

Rapson

Seaman

Just going off the gauge as there is no horn installed. I wasnt going to bother with t-stats but you think I should put some back in?

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

YES as engine will overheat at low rpm without them and install a horn!!! A water pressure guage is better than a temp guage in my opinion....

Rapson

Seaman

Thanks for that Faztbullet. Have you got any good links for water pressure guages and how to install. I have found a few in searching posts but they were all bum steers.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Water pressure gauges are pretty much universal. They have brass fittings if you have a tapped hole in the head's water jacket. If not that may be tee'd into water hoses. I used the hose that runs from the top of the powerhead to the exhaust cover for my gauge.