Pontoon decking AB marine grade....

Stevehue

Cadet
Is this the proper plywood to redo the deck on my pontoon? I found this at menards and just wanted to make sure that it is the proper stuff since i have heard so much about not finding the proper board at a menards/ home depot type store.

AB Marine grade plywood at menards

dls322

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Pontoon decking AB marine grade....

Looks to be but im sure someone will confirm it since there are no Menards near me. Looks to be a good price, i paid around $90 a sheet at my local lumber shop. But it looks like this is an online price and you still need to factor in delivery.

MinUph

Chief Petty Officer

That is the product. A grade will have less knots than the B side. Shouldn't be a problem. Covering the B side will cover up the imperfections.

theoldwizard1

Petty Officer 1st Class

That will be fine for a pontoon deck. Probably over kill as most people just use ACX. Cut and dry fit all the sections. I would recommend 2 coats of marine spar varnish before you fasten it down. Thin the first coat about 4:1. Make sure to do all of the edges well.

True "marine" grade plywood, stamped "BS1088", is usually made with tropical hardwoods (Okoum? or Meranti) which are which are naturally rot resistant. It has more, thinner plys and it therefore stronger. Marine plywood can have no voids on inner plys, unlike typical exterior grade plywood. It is also INCREDIBLY EXPENSIVE !! At least double the price :blue: Marine plywood is typically sold in millimeter thicknesses and because it is so strong you can drop down one size (12mm instead of 18mm)

Checking the specs for the marine plywood at Manard's, it seems to have everything a BS1088 plywood would have except for the exotic wood (it uses Douglas fir).

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

Yes thats the right stuff, 7 layer.

Stevehue

Cadet

Thanks!! I was pretty sure it was the right stuff but just wanted to check. I have most everything off the pontoon so I am going to pull the old wood off here soon.

fishrdan

Admiral

I hate to go against the grain here, but that's NOT the right plywood for a pontoon! Yes, it's marine grade plywood, but it's untreated marine grade plywood, it will rot just as fast as inexpensive exterior grade plywood.

What you're looking for is pontoon decking, CCA treated plywood. Plydek XL is a brand name that's available at Gander Mountain and I think Cabelas carries it too.

BigDfromTN

Petty Officer 1st Class

I hate to go against the grain here, but that's NOT the right plywood for a pontoon! Yes, it's marine grade plywood, but it's untreated marine grade plywood, it will rot just as fast as inexpensive exterior grade plywood.

What you're looking for is pontoon decking, CCA treated plywood. Plydek XL is a brand name that's available at Gander Mountain and I think Cabelas carries it too.

Just a question.....

I thought Treated wood and Aluminum did not play well together. ???

fishrdan

Admiral

ACQ treated wood will eat aluminum, that's why you don't want to use the cheap big box store treated plywood. ACQ treating gives the wood a green color.

CCA treated plywood is just fine for contact with aluminum, it's what aluminum boat manufacturers use building boats. CCA treating gives the wood a light yellow/orange tint.

cca-treated-marine-grade-pontoon-plywood

CCA treated decking uses chromated copper arsenate which provides superior resistance in outdoor applications against rotting and insect infestation and will not interact with metals. Our 7-ply, 3/4" marine grade decking is made from 7 layers of Douglas Fir, uses marine adhesives and is pressed then kiln dried to prevent warping. It has a 40 year usable lifetime warranty.

Last edited:

BigDfromTN

Petty Officer 1st Class

ACQ treated wood will eat aluminum, that's why you don't want to use the cheap big box store treated plywood. ACQ treating gives the wood a green color.

CCA treated plywood is just fine for contact with aluminum, it's what aluminum boat manufacturers use building boats. CCA treating gives the wood a light yellow/orange tint.

CCA treated decking uses chromated copper arsenate which provides superior resistance in outdoor applications against rotting and insect infestation and will not interact with metals. Our 7-ply, 3/4" marine grade decking is made from 7 layers of Douglas Fir, uses marine adhesives and is pressed then kiln dried to prevent warping. It has a 40 year usable lifetime warranty.

Good Info. Thanks,

SO..... Is "Yella Wood" the proper kind of treated wood that would work as bunks for aluminum boats?

I replaced my bunks last year with white wood as suggested by others. Just curious and for future reference wonder if Yella wood will work.

Stevehue

Cadet

I am so confused now because all the local lumberyards I talk to say they sell the AB grade stuff to people all the time to do pontoon floors. The cost difference is tempting because to have the CCA stuff shipped is just crazy(no locals have it) but then you think will the AB stuff hold up. UUGGGHHHH!!!!!

I found old reciepts with the boat papers they show they used CD treated stuff back in 2006 andf it has lasted 8 years. I just don't know right now what to do. I am trying to do it on somewhat of a budget but looks as though the flooring is going to bust that budget just a bit!!!

Last edited:

MinUph

Chief Petty Officer

In looking at your link at Menards for the marine grade plywood I see NO treatment at all. No ACQ or CCA treatments which says to me it is standard marine grade plywood but less expensive than any I've seen before. NOT TREATED. So it will be fine to use on Aluminum.

I was about to say before reading the specs on the product that sales people will tell you anything. And people will buy products not knowing about it. But again after reading the specs I see it is fine.

The product is plain wood plywood with exterior grade glue. It would need to be sealed and kept that way as the wood itself will rot over time. It's probably the same type product used by the manufactures now.