Poll, Your home computer, Mac or PC?

Admin5

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Poll, Your home computer, Mac or PC?

Have you ever wondered what iboats is running on? Click here to see. ;)

Link

Rear Admiral

Admin5<br />LOL I dont even remember the load command for a cassette anymore. But I think the 1541 disk drive was Load,8 for basic and load,8,1 for machine language :)

kd6nem

Chief Petty Officer

Old Macs made GREAT Boat Anchors, Samagee! I had to try to support about 55-60 old Macs, Mostly antique power pc 5200's and some G3's, all in that miserable service hostile one piece package the IMac would become famous for. They about broke my back! A couple off the bow and stern should be able to anchor a destroyer! Macs that old are mostly junk. Few if any redeeming features. (Not that PC's have fared all that much better in the post DOS pre 2K/XP era. Can't comment about the current ones. All computers have idiosyncracies. For hardware I prefer PC's, though a really old SPARC workstation would smoke them all until recently. Haven't been fond of MicroTrash, though XP is decent- they seem to be realizing that quality does matter? Still trying to find time to play with Linux. Computers- love them, hate them, or love to hate them!

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

I grew up on a Commodore 64. Had tons of print outs of local BBS's to call.<br /><br />I had a blast with that thing and taught myself BASIC programming.<br /><br />10 For X = 1 to 10<br />20 Print "Kenimpzoom!"<br />30 Next X<br />40 End<br /><br />Peek and Poke!!!!<br /><br />All that came in handy when I had to take programming in college.<br /><br />Ken

snapperbait

Vice Admiral

Commodore 64, hack-phutt! Gimme a TI/99-4A and a cenetipiede or burger time game cartrage anyday... :p :p

88spl

Petty Officer 1st Class

Paid over 3,000 bucks in 1995 for a p166, AST, figured time to build one. Built computer 2003, a p866, 500megs ram, 19in monitor, 124 bit grafic card, read/write disk, 2 extra fans, atx case, spent about 600.00 bucks, Oh, and 2 hard drives 40 gig. each. The reason its a p866 is because the processor was a gift. I have been looking for a 2gig or higher and mother board, as alot of games require a 1gig or better. (fathers day is cummin!?)

samagee

Chief Petty Officer

Bearcat, Linux is great! It came about because IBM would not/could not make the code for OS/2 public. The story on it is still unclear. OS/2 is one of the greatest desktop OSs to hit the market. Unfortunately, it was through IBM who really has their marketing team bass ackwards. Microsoft is just now starting to catch up to where OSs like OS/2 where at, almost 10 years ago.<br /><br />At any rate. Would you want a mac trying to keep your boat in place on a river? I thought about that before I posted. :D I wondered how it would dig into the dirt/clay in order to hold the boat against the current. That's why I said they couldn't be used for an anchor. :)

ChrisMcLaughlin

Petty Officer 1st Class

Been building puters for years. PC's are cheaper and software is easy to find. I see by some of your posts that I must be missing out on the XP craze. I have been a user of 98se for a long time. It seems to be stable and fits most of my needs. Lately I have been doing music conversion to MP3 from reel to reel, cassette and vinyl and photo/slide/negative digitalizing. I then archive on CD-R. This gives me a base to make custom audio and photographic presentations. What I would like to know is will XP be a better place to do this?

Butch Ammon

Petty Officer 1st Class

Home: Homemade Pentium II 350Mhz, 20GB, 256Mb RAM, Win2000, still going strong...<br /><br />Spare: Homemade Pentium 233MMX, twin 8GB HD's, 128MB RAM, Win98, etc... (kids use it to goof around on and play games).<br /><br />Work: Dell Dimension P4, 1.8Ghz, 40GB, 512Mb RAM, WinXP, works like charm. I love it. :) <br /><br />My server room at work:<br />1) Compaq Proliant, SCO Unix server.<br />2) Compaq Proliant, Novell 5.1 netware server.<br />3) Compaq Proliant, Linux RedHat, email router/internet server.<br /><br />....Notice there is no Mac-n-trash equipment anywhere? :p Hey, my twin daughters have Macintosh iBooks with Mac OS-X used by the high school, and I'm sorry... The iBooks are the most worthless P.O.S. computers I have ever seen! They crash, lockup, and actually break very easily!<br /><br />Butch A.