Politics Forum?

Pony

Rear Admiral
Would you like to see a seperate forum for politically based topics? would you visit it??

Pony

Rear Admiral
Re: Politics Forum?

Personally I feel that maybe religion and politics could go together......I think it was Jason J in another thread that said that you'd have to make a seperate forum for religion if you did so for politics. I think they could be combined since i think it is probably the same group of posters that would post most of the topics in either one. <br /><br />This is way out there.... but maybe if politics and religion were seperated from DC, then maybe SHT could come back into DC, since lots of SHT's get posted in here anyways.....JMHO (At least that keeps the number of forums to have to moderate down)

ZmOz

Captain

Yes, so that I can completely ignore it.

Bassy

Lieutenant Commander

I'm sure there are Political Forums on other websites. I don't see why we need one here. I wouldn't participate in it if there was, but that's just me. <br />Bassy

snapperbait

Vice Admiral

no and no.... <br /><br />IMHO, the political topics, and those who participate; on these boards are relativly tame and folks are well-mannered compaired to some other boards I've seen....<br /><br />It's a phase.... It will pass....

AK_Chappy

Lieutenant

I said Yes for the forum and No I would not visit it.<br />Bassy,<br />I would say the reason for it is to keep the whining and arguing (from BOTH sides) in a contained area that I don't need to weed through.<br /><br />Yeah, Yeah, Yeah,<br />"If you don't want to read it, skip it" and I do.<br />But, check the poll results so far. Seems to be pretty cut and dried.<br /><br />IMHO,<br />Politics and religion should be only discussed face-to-face. Their is soo much non-verbal that goes into these discussion, and that DOES NOT translate through the web. Oh, the same goes for solder/crimp/both and dino/synthetic oil. :D <br /><br />AK Chappy

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

There are political fora all over the place. If you want to argue politics go there.<br /><br />It is you, the members of this forum, that make DC what it is. It is you that have posted the trolls, hate and venom that you are now complaining about as though it is iboats' fault.<br /><br />Would you like us (the Mod Squad) to forbid controversial topics? That, of course, would include social, political and religious topics.<br /><br />The liklihood of getting iboats' Management to okay a seperate forum for hate and controversy is, I would say, less than zero. It would be more likely to discontinue DC altogether.

ZmOz

Captain

Originally posted by JB:<br /> Would you like us (the Mod Squad) to forbid controversial topics? That, of course, would include social, political and religious topics.<br />
Yes. I'm tired of this stupid, pointless bullsh!t. What good is having any posts what-so-ever about poitics here? It acomplishes nothing, except to overflow DC with mindless BS. "Just don't read it" is not an option when that's all there is...

Pony

Rear Admiral

JB please dont take this the wrong way, but how did you come to the conclusion that this hypothetical political forum would be all hate and controversy........wouldnt it just be the same posts we have now only in a different area? and When has it ever been considered iboats fault that the DC is the way it is?....I think we all recognize its all of us that make it. I don;t mean to offend JB, honestly just trying to see where you are coming from.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Originally posted by Bassy:<br /> I'm sure there are Political Forums on other websites. I don't see why we need one here. I wouldn't participate in it if there was, but that's just me. <br />Bassy
Oh come on now Bassy! I sure don't remember you being all that scarce durning the last election. ;) The fact is that all you people complaining about the political discussions/rants/trolls, would be the first ones who go over to a new forum and peek. You can't fool me. It'd be mo different than now. Ya'll whine about it and can't stay out of the posts. What'd make a new forum any different.<br /><br />Besides all of you with wesk constitutions, American Politics has always been rough and tumble. It's just been lately since the Democrats/Liberals have gotten waxed so thoroughly that they've come up with this notion that everyone should be nice now. (that is as long as the Democrats get their way)<br /><br />Besides, the good book addresses this issue and I'll paraphrase: "Be thou neither hot nor cold, I will spew you out"

mikeandronda

Lieutenant Commander

Well Im kinda blown away by some of the people that are doing the most complaining and crying seem to be involved in many of the above political posts.........you know a couple of trolls can come to a site like this and ruin it in a short time. There are like 10 posts that are basicaly the same thing.....I see no problem with debate but It sux when people spew hate.........If you want to argue politics great but make your point in one thread not 85........

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Originally posted by ZmOz:<br />
Originally posted by JB:<br /> Would you like us (the Mod Squad) to forbid controversial topics? That, of course, would include social, political and religious topics.<br />
Yes. I'm tired of this stupid, pointless bullsh!t. What good is having any posts what-so-ever about poitics here? It acomplishes nothing, except to overflow DC with mindless BS. "Just don't read it" is not an option when that's all there is...
Your last statement is a whole load of manure ZmOz.. "oh dear me, there's just nothing else to do so I'll hop on into DC and get myself PO'd. I just can't help myself, nor can I seem to start any alternate threads that any body cares about participating in. Instead of just keeping my nose out of what I don't like, I'll go cry on the Governors shoulder, because he really cares. He told me so"<br /><br /> :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :mad: :mad:

ZmOz

Captain

Boomyal, I like (liked) to come here and read random off topic posts. Now that's more or less impossible to do, since 90% of the posts are political bull****. I start plenty of threads here not about politics. They're quickly buried by more political bull****. The exact same political bull**** over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over....<br /><br />The only reason I read and ocassionally respond to the political crap here now is because there is nothing else to do here.

Pony

Rear Admiral

yeah no one seems to get that when a decent post gets buried 3/4 of the way down the page its practicaly forgotten

demsvmejm

Master Chief Petty Officer

Originally posted by Boomyal:<br />
Originally posted by Bassy:<br /> I'm sure there are Political Forums on other websites. I don't see why we need one here. I wouldn't participate in it if there was, but that's just me. <br />Bassy
Oh come on now Bassy! I sure don't remember you being all that scarce durning the last election. ;) The fact is that all you people complaining about the political discussions/rants/trolls, would be the first ones who go over to a new forum and peek. You can't fool me. It'd be mo different than now. Ya'll whine about it and can't stay out of the posts. What'd make a new forum any different.<br /><br />Besides all of you with wesk constitutions, American Politics has always been rough and tumble. It's just been lately since the Democrats/Liberals have gotten waxed so thoroughly that they've come up with this notion that everyone should be nice now. (that is as long as the Democrats get their way)<br /><br />Besides, the good book addresses this issue and I'll paraphrase: "Be thou neither hot nor cold, I will spew you out"
I was respecting your post til you had to lower yourself to the level you are whining about by bad-mouthing the Democrats/Liberals(read anybody who doesn't agree with you.) Boomyal, I'm sorry to see that you are just another can't-think-for-myself shoeple that hte Republican party is so honored with as followers. No wonder there's a brain-drain in Washington. I agree that American Politics has always been rough and tumble, but I don't recall it being quite as venomous as those of your ilk have made it. Respect opposing views, that doesn't mean you have to agree, but at least repect the differeing view. After all, isn't that one of the rights that our servicemen and women have fought and died to preserve for the American People? Or is it just the republican sheople's right to have any views?<br /><br />And if you don't want to read/be involved in political posts, as soon as you realize that the post is political, USE THE "BACK" BUTTON AND GET OUT! After all no one is forcing you to read them. This is America where we are free to express what we think/feel/believe, or in the lusted after republican state, is that a right we will be denied? As long as you are free, you have the choice, so if you don't like the politics, GET OUT! Of the post that is.<br /><br />And JB, thank you, you once again very well stated your position, stuck to the facts and kept emotion largely curtailed, all while respecting all the members.

ZmOz

Captain

Originally posted by David L. Moore:<br />And if you don't want to read/be involved in political posts, as soon as you realize that the post is political, USE THE "BACK" BUTTON AND GET OUT!
The problem is there is NOTHING BUT political bull****. If you try and make a post about something completely unrelated it is quickly buried never to be heard from again.

Wimperdink

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Most of the other forums I've been part of, have seperate politics sections because of all the individuals getting irritated with trolls and the like... I personally never visited the politics parts because of my own lack of interest in them. In DC its hard to keep up with any normal posts because the politics topics go soo fast they push the normal topics down the list very fast and they go out of sight quick. <br /><br />I'm sure this will go down in flames quick too but whatabout a dockside chatroom that is completely unmoderated and warned as such. Most chatrooms allow the ability to block people... should people join and start issues.. the individuals who dont care to see it can block them. JB you can delete this if you like but here is a simple free chatroom on my site. Wimps Chatroom<br />Very simple... click on the user causing a problem and click ignore and continue chatting. No extra work for moderators and everyone can read what they like and block the problem makers.

ErikDC

Petty Officer 1st Class

Case in point! (see above) Some folks have a short fuse, I would vote for a politics forum where anyone who feels the need to vent can do so. I have no idea what it takes to run a website, just my opinion, I could be wrong.<br /><br />I'm not wrong about Michigan losing 17-10 to 20th ranked Notre Dame, tho. Wow! THAT'S embarrassing! At least we only lost to 2nd ranked Texas by 3! :D All in good fun, couldn't help it! :D <br /><br />Edit: Referring to David L. Moore, of course! ;)

lark2004

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I'd love to see a political forum, that way I don't need to see it in amongst the things that do interest me.<br /><br />No offense guys and gals, but I am getting a bit tired of the "American" point of view on the rest of the world. I accidently looked in at the GWB thread posted by 12footer, silly me didn't think, George W Bush.

Pony

Rear Admiral

What i really dont understand is why those who like the politics topis get all worked up over the idea of a seperate part of the forum for it.........its a win win situation isnt it. Those who think the forum has become cluttered with political rants dont have to deal with them, and those who want to talk politics dont have to deal with those who dont want it in the forum posting threads against it.