Polishing Gelcoat

Big-E

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Ok when i 1st got my boat it was painted in white house paint. Yes latex house paint i belive. It was primed 1st with what it looked like automotive primer. So i sanded it all down the the gelcoat and wetsanded the entire thing with 2000 grit (I went from like 220 to, 600, 800, to 1000, to 1500, then to 2000) My one neibor is a great painter and polisher and came over and put this stuff on his polisher he called a "cutter" and it made my gelcoat look better then brand new. <br /><br />He said he was going to help me buff it out but ive been trying to get him to help me for about 3 months now. <br /><br />I dont know the name of the stuff just its $90.00 a gallon. <br /><br />Since he is so hard to get a hold of i was thinking of doing this myself. Anyone have any recomindations of what polish or compound i need to get the 2000 grit scratches out? I have a 11,000 rpm grinder i can put a polishing wheel on. (its a 10 amp grinder not a baby one) <br /><br />Id like to have the boat look as good as she runs. <br /><br />Thanks, <br /><br />Big-E

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Polishing Gelcoat

Don't use the grinder to polish, Big-E. Invest in an orbital buffer.<br /><br />I use Meguairs (sp?) heavy duty oxidation remover to buff out fine sanding. It is for faded and oxydized gelcoat, but works fine as a cutter on very fine sanded gelcoat.

Big-E

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I do have a decent orbital buffer just didnt think it would have enough power(ie spinning less then 10k) to remove the scraches. I'll pick up some heavy duty oxidation remover and give it a shot... <br /><br />Also what kind of pad should i use? Terry cloth or those bigg fluffy looking ones? <br /><br />Thanks. <br /><br />Big-E

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

2500 RPM or lower is whats needed for buffing, any more and it can create too much heat which can distort the surface.

Big-E

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ahhhh i never knew that.... <br /><br />So my orbital buffer will be fine. <br /><br />Thanks, <br /><br />Big-E

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I use the terry cloth pad. Big-E. Washable. :)

Big-E

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the help guys. I did half of the bow tonight just to test it out and its an amazing differance. I will have to go over it a couple more times to get all the scraches out but just going over it twice killed about 95% of them. <br /><br />Thanx again, <br /><br />Big-E

DangerDan

Petty Officer 1st Class

3M rubbing compound followed up by 3M finesse it II. Whistle a happy tune, it'll pass...

Realgun

Commander

Either Meguairs or 3M are awesome products.<br /><br />There are 3 types.<br /><br />1. Compound-to remove sanding marks and scratches.<br />This is used when the gel coat is oxidized.<br />2. Polish will remove sanding marks but not nearly so fast.This is used when the gel coat is faded or dull. Will make the boat shine very nicely.<br /><br />3. Wax- This protects the gelcoat so you don't have to polish it again so soon.<br /><br />2-3 some waxes have a fine grit so you can polish also or remove light marks.<br /><br />Hope this helps.

Big-E

Petty Officer 2nd Class

That helps out alot Realgun. I think i will make the wife help me polish and wax her out this weekend. Just using the compound and putting some turtle wax ontop of it made it look way better. I didnt know about using polish. <br /><br />So i compound, polish, then wax right? <br /><br />Thanks alot. <br /><br />Big-E

DangerDan

Petty Officer 1st Class

Depends on how often you want to do it. If you get passed the oxidation then use a good polishing product to get rid of the swirlmarks and following though with a good sealing wax such as carnuba or beeswax type your finish will last you longer. Another tip: if you can, romove the hardware that is in your way or at least mask it off to keep from gumming up your pad. Getting this metallic residue on your buffer pad is just going to cause more work.

Realgun

Commander

I think i will make the wife help me polish and wax her out this weekend.
OK how do you make your wife do this? Is there a secret I don't know?<br /><br />I hope between the two of you the boat will be looking sharp. :)

Big-E

Petty Officer 2nd Class

OK how do you make your wife do this? Is there a secret I don't know?
The secret is......let her buy new furniture...<br /><br /> :D <br /><br />Thanks for the help, <br /><br />Big-E

Realgun

Commander

Big-E<br />
<br />The secret is......let her buy new furniture...<br />
Not in this lifetime! <br /><br />Guess I just get to polish by myself. :)

johnrmclean

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Hi there.
I have a similar situation and am looking for some advice. The difference is my faded problem is really only in the black stripes. See below.
Thanks

Restoring and Polishing Gelcoat

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have a 94 BAJA which has purple and black waving stripes running the hull. Last yerar it was fine but over the past winter the colors, particularly the black, seem to have faded, fogged or slighlty discolored and i can't get them back even after I waxed the hull. At the waterline in particular the fading seems to have left a line below where it crosses through the black stripe.
I used 3M's combo wax and polish for mildly oxidized finishes with a power polisher and it seems to give me gloss but the dark colors still seem faded or slightly cloudy and I see some swirl marks. No problems on the white hull areas. Where do I go from here? Should I go more abrasive on the color or less? What products should I use?

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

JRM

Dark colors can become cloudy if they are exposed to water for long periods of time, so the aren't recommended for use below the water line. Sometimes if you leave the boat in the sun it will bake the moisture out of the fillers in the gel coat, it doesn't always work, but it's free to try. You can also use a heat lamp or hair dryer, just don't let the surface get hot, only warm. If that doesn't work try sanding with 600 grit in a small area and then buffing it, it may not work either, but it's worth a try.