Polishing Aluminum on Lonestar

mmf

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have been trying to find a good way to polish the aluminum on a Lone Star aluminum boat, short of buying Nuvite ($90 for coarse, med, & fine) polishing creme. I have been working my tail off cleaning then polishing with fair results but not to my liking. I am currently first cleaning with a scotch-brite and coarse grade rubbing compound then I scrub the area with brillo pads with oxy-clean and the area looks good and is clean, my problem is the BLACK residue left when I try to use Mothers aluminum polish, maybe I'm not doing the mothers right or something. It actually looks better with just the brillo pad finish than with the aluminum polish, which leaves a darker finish on the aluminum. Any one have any good results without buying Nuvite? Thanks for any help!:confused:
Here's what I am getting...http://picasaweb.google.com/114764926961602492668/PolishingSaratoga?feat=directlink

chrisroberts916

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Polishing Aluminum on Lonestar

Try wet sanding it with atleast 1200 grit and the higher you go the smoother she gets. I'm lucky enough that my '58 Lone Star is "Glass", but sanded many of bike engine covers to mirror finish that way. 0000 steel wool is a good start also.

sasto

Captain

I like Woody Wax and 1200 grit sandpaper.

the mothers mag polish 'black' is the Oxidation being removed from your aluminum, just wipe it clean then buff with a buffer wheel you'll wind up with a mirror finish.:)